Milton the Monster...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
To all our friends and forum members in the central Florida areas about to be affected by Hurricane Milton, please be safe and take the proper precautions to protect your lives. This one looks like the real deal and could be very devastating to life and property.

My prayers are with you for your safety. Please take care...

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Yes, please, stay safe. The damage up above and just to the east of us is devastating, I can't imagine going through this twice in one month's time and with flying debris from the previous storm's trash, to boot.

I despise the BBC these days.
Notwithstanding the multiple scandals they've successfully managed to weather in recent times (Jimmy Savile, Huw Edwards etc), this is how they're reporting on Milton, by including stupid feel-good stories about neighbours helping each other out and posting selfies of Florida residents with happy-smily faces who are feeling 'apprehensive'.

What about the abject fear and anxiety millions of other folks must be going through right now? I don't think they're as happy-smiley facey as these two. It's obviously an old selfie but it reminds me of the false 'positive' narratives that were projected in different, creative ways by the Nazis and Russian communists during eras which actually had dire and deadly consequences for millions.

That might be overdoing it a bit but here was a time when I had a shred of respect for the BBC. Now it's just the wokest, most left-biased organisation with alarmingly skewed and irresponsibly false reporting, scare-mongering and spewing mis- and disinformation on a daily basis.
Lamentable.

Can you believe that UK residents, such as my family there have to pay a yearly £169.50 license fee towards this organisation if your TV/computer can receive BBC signals?
They aggressively pursue anyone through the courts leading to jail terms in many instances if you decide not to cough up and if you arrange it so that you can't receive their signals they still harrass and intimidate you with legal threats. It's tantramount to extortion!

Sorry this is way off topic and inappropriate but some things just make my p!$$ boil.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/cr753r34n3rt?post=asset:05ea6659-00a1-4382-9358-390b571cee35#post

2024-10-09  Hurricane Milton live updates Millions told to get out as Hurricane Milton closes ...png

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I despise the BBC these days.
Notwithstanding the multiple scandals they've successfully managed to weather in recent times (Jimmy Savile, Huw Edwards etc), this is how they're reporting on Milton, by including stupid feel-good stories about neighbours helping each other out and posting selfies of Florida residents with happy-smily faces who are feeling 'apprehensive'.

What about the abject fear and anxiety millions of other folks must be going through right now? I don't think they're as happy-smiley facey as these two. It's obviously an old selfie but it reminds me of the false 'positive' narratives that were projected in different, creative ways by the Nazis and Russian communists during eras which actually had dire and deadly consequences for millions.

That might be overdoing it a bit but here was a time when I had a shred of respect for the BBC. Now it's just the wokest, most left-biased organisation with alarmingly skewed and irresponsibly false reporting, scare-mongering and spewing mis- and disinformation on a daily basis.
Lamentable.

Can you believe that UK residents, such as my family there have to pay a yearly £169.50 license fee towards this organisation if your TV/computer can receive BBC signals?
They aggressively pursue anyone through the courts leading to jail terms in many instances if you decide not to cough up and if you arrange it so that you can't receive their signals they still harrass and intimidate you with legal threats. It's tantramount to extortion!

Sorry this is way off topic and inappropriate but some things just make my p!$$ boil.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/cr753r34n3rt?post=asset:05ea6659-00a1-4382-9358-390b571cee35#post

View attachment 83628
Looks like a Clear Choice ad... :)

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I guess the weather hype-sters are all past trying use the Milton satellite imagery with the pronounced Eye (from when it was much further east).. as this things starts to degrade. State-wide tornado watches painted in Red are the new fun...

Is it just me or was this all a bit of a damp squib?

Looking at the mainstream media before the 'event' had us believing that total armageddon was coming. 'Cat 5/6' hurricane' etc.
It turned out to be a cat3 on landfall and dissipates to cat1 as soon as it reaches the Atlantic.
I've been watching this channel with live cameras/coverage and it just looks like normal wet/windy weather in most parts.

https://www.youtube.com/live/Y08aBiWTRpE?si=iBZTBsgA5vW-yZ7A

Abstract seeing relatively deserted streets during the daytime due to everyone being told to evacuate but I'm not seeing the flooding, destruction and demolished buildings that was expected. OK, there have been some deaths, which ofc is terrible and many are without power but the destruction and turmoil is on a scale that is/was much lower than predicted, or am I missing something?
I can't help that we've all been duped by a hyped-up mainstream media somehow.
Distraction tactics?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Is it just me or was this all a bit of a damp squib?

Looking at the mainstream media before the 'event' had us believing that total armageddon was coming. 'Cat 5/6' hurricane' etc.
It turned out to be a cat3 on landfall and dissipates to cat1 as soon as it reaches the Atlantic.
I've been watching this channel with live cameras/coverage and it just looks like normal wet/windy weather in most parts.

https://www.youtube.com/live/Y08aBiWTRpE?si=iBZTBsgA5vW-yZ7A

Abstract seeing relatively deserted streets during the daytime due to everyone being told to evacuate but I'm not seeing the flooding, destruction and demolished buildings that was expected. OK, there have been some deaths, which ofc is terrible and many are without power but the destruction and turmoil is on a scale that is/was much lower than predicted, or am I missing something?
I can't help that we've all been duped by a hyped-up mainstream media somehow.
Distraction tactics?
Hi Chris
You always plan for the worst and hope for the best. If this turns out to be a damp squib, thank God for that. If Desantis had treated this as nothing to worry about and it actually materialized into massive destruction, they would be seeking his head. Too early to tell the full effects of what may have happened but lets hope for a minimal impact.

Hi Chris
You always plan for the worst and hope for the best. If this turns out to be a damp squib, thank God for that. If Desantis had treated this as nothing to worry about and it actually materialized into massive destruction, they would be seeking his head. Too early to tell the full effects of what may have happened but lets hope for a minimal impact.
True. Concur. Absolutely the preferred outcome rather than what was predicted!
I'm trained in risk-management (nuclear industry), so I have a high appreciation for having mitigations in place for any eventuality, but the cynic in me can't help but feel like this, along with Covid and whatever else 'they're' planning, is a test and all feeding into a large-scale populus behavioural study somewhere. Has there ever been as wide-ranging an evacuation order given over there before?
Am I just a cynical old basturd? lol

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
True. Concur. Absolutely the preferred outcome rather than what was predicted!
I'm trained in risk-management (nuclear industry), so I have a high appreciation for having mitigations in place for any eventuality, but the cynic in me can't help but feel like this, along with Covid and whatever else 'they're' planning, is a test and all feeding into a large-scale populus behavioural study somewhere. Has there ever been as wide-ranging an evacuation order given over there before?
Am I just a cynical old basturd? lol
Not enough people are still alive anymore with important Critical Thinking skills. Fear reigns supreme because it's an easy way out and victim-hood is in-vogue.
Healthy cynicism should be rewarded too! :cool: ( can't help the old part tho... :laughing8: )

With Helene they used predictive modeling to forecast storm surge up to 20 ft above tide-levels. I think the highest recorded at the NOAA buoys was 9 point something for Helene... and it wasn't pervasive! For Milton, they hyped-up, up to 15 ft of storm surge. The highest recorded data I've seen was just a hair over 5 ft in Ft. Meyers - where my sister lives. When anyone watched across the various MSM channels covering this thing, one could see these tweaks tamping down their "hype" when the "Monster" started to fizzle into relative disorganization quite a bit of time before it actually made landfall and then they proceeded to switch their focus to the widespread tornado/tornadic activity across the State. A more balanced weather station, Weather Nation, did a far better job staying informative & reasonable during the whole thing - and actually keyed on the fact that quickly rising barometric pressure at its center, a massive dry-air component from the north/north-west and wind sheer from the west contributed to the rapid downgrading of Milton.

This is Florida and Floridians are use to Hurricanes, heavy rain and the rest of it. There is a ton of historical data for hundred+ years.
Sure there was damage, destruction and loss of life - but it's all relative.

Hype sells when people are uninformed and easily triggered...
The hyper-weather tweaks are abundant anymore, mainly because it's profitable.

Last edited: