New Member: Planning my PL400 rebuild

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Since you will be spending well over $1000 in parts and a shitload of labor, go find a worthy 400 with the correct amount of fins, or find a 700 to do. You'll be stuck with a 4 fin 400 all WOPL'd out and can't keep it's cool. Yeah, you may want to keep it for the rest of your life but somebody will have to sell it after that.

A 400 4 fin ain't worth a squirt. 400's are cheap.

Last edited:

jle

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Older than I act, younger than I look
I was wrong -- Joe's chassis does NOT include heat sinks. I have been eyeing an 8-fin 400 for sale but it is lacking one of the four covers for the output transistors, requires a new face plate, and the meters look pretty beat up. "Rode hard and put up wet" as they say in the south. It is tempting to put it together with the 4-fin that I have, but I think I'll keep looking for an 8-fin 400 that has not been run over (yet) by a Mac truck.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I'm running a 4 fin, granted it just runs a set of compression drivers, it's never been hot. Even running Dahlquist DQ-10s and my ghetto line arrays I havent felt it get too hot. If you have 4 ohm speakers you might have trouble. you also have to drill some extra holes in a 4 fin to make the backplanes fit.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Hell, it aint my amp. If you want to worry about what it's hooked up to, get an 4 fin, if you don't want to worry about shit, get an 8 fin.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Yup. The “four finners” looked too old for my liking, preferred the LED display of the series two amps. I left the collector covers off of both. Maybe a bit of heat phobia on my part, I’m a bit Aspergerish/OCD on a number of things.

jle

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Older than I act, younger than I look
Yup. The “four finners” looked too old for my liking, preferred the LED display of the series two amps. I left the collector covers off of both. Maybe a bit of heat phobia on my part, I’m a bit Aspergerish/OCD on a number of things.
Forgive the ignorance, but what are the "collector covers"?

I sympathize about the OCD. I have a related syndrome -- CDO. That's like OCD but the letters are alphabetical they way they were intended to be.