New guy from Alaska

AKdeVo

New Around These Parts
I have been wanting to get a nice system for my woodshop and decided the little DeWalt job site radio needed an upgrade.
Growing up my dad had a nice old Bose system from the 60s and we sure enjoyed those for the longest time with all the old records from his younger days.

I have been a car/truck audio guy and have built some pretty nice clean systems over the years but never got into a real home audio system.

A couple of weeks ago I was picking up a nice pair of JBL L100ts (after doing lots of research) and the guy was really knowledgeable. I showed him a Phase Linear 700 for sale that I found and he was blown away. He said it was a unicorn and probably the only one I would see in Alaska. So I rushed out and grabbed it for $300. After doing more research I have ended up here. Blows me away how much information is available on this PL 700 and the L100t online. I am really new to this and have a lot to learn.

From what I've read these JBLs are pretty hungry, 200-400 WPC. They say they really come alive when you put the juice to them. Trying to find an amp that big has not been the easiest thing to do without spending a butt load.

Diving in deep for the full WOPL build from Eric. As much as this was far outside my "shop stereo" budget, I have fallen for these older vintage components that seem to hold their value and have quite the following.

Here are a few photos. I did have the top cover on the wrong way for a few photos. It does still have the oak sides and seems to be in pretty good condition. It does hum a bit when in use. I really didnt want to run it much and have a chance of hurting my speakers until it got checked out by someone smarter than I.

I thought it was a 700b series two but apparently its miss labeled on the back.

Any info or advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Kris

Attachments

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
You have a transitional PL700 Series II. The change from the PL700B to the PL700 II happened in 1977/1978. Note that your RCA Driver Transistors have a 1977 date code on them. Phase Linear continued to use the transformer stickers they had in stock (likely already glued to the transformers) on the first batch of PL700 II amplifiers.
There are some Forum users that have these transitional amplifiers. A small bit of Phase Linear history/trivia.

This was the urban legend that I heard...

AKdeVo

New Around These Parts
Interesting!
I was wondering about the sides and the top.
Was going to refinish the sides to match the build. Eric had mentioned the new build comes with top and bottom plates. Wonder if this top can work or not.

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Welcome Aboard AKdeVo,
That is a super nice Series II 700, perfect for the full WOPL treatment. You will enjoy it for many years to come.
Enjoy the ride !!!

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Interesting!
I was wondering about the sides and the top.
Was going to refinish the sides to match the build. Eric had mentioned the new build comes with top and bottom plates. Wonder if this top can work or not.
Probably not with new chassis as it is taller . Do options are sell me that kit or use original chassis
I’ll in for buying it
Pm me if interested
Thanks

AKdeVo

New Around These Parts
Welcome Aboard AKdeVo,
That is a super nice Series II 700, perfect for the full WOPL treatment. You will enjoy it for many years to come.
Enjoy the ride !!!
Thanks! I thought it was pretty clean unit as well.
What part of Alaska? I've been to Anchorage and Prudhoe Bay a few times and hope to get to Valdez later this year.
Im close to Anchorage, in Eagle River.
Probably not with new chassis as it is taller . Do options are sell me that kit or use original chassis
I’ll in for buying it
Pm me if interested
Thanks
If I end up selling it I will let you know.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Left Anchorage in 1962. As a passenger in ,my parents car. Dad was in the Air Force. Got transferred to March Air Force Base, Riverside, Cal. What a trip...must have been all of 7 years old..,

AKdeVo

New Around These Parts
Left Anchorage in 1962. As a passenger in ,my parents car. Dad was in the Air Force. Got transferred to March Air Force Base, Riverside, Cal. What a trip...must have been all of 7 years old..,
I bet that was one heck of a trip back in 62!

AKdeVo

New Around These Parts