Where to find info on Dahlquist DQ-10 mods...

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I've had a couple pair and recapped them to the same with films and mirrored them. Got a couple pair of bespoke stands made and sold a pair to a buddy in our audio group. Other pair in my mains, look and work great with 50 watts of tube power (I use subs so the tube amps aren't doing anything below about 50Hz) and play as loud as needed by our group.

Anyway, jb offered a set of 10 for 2 bills and since I work on the tts he flips, odd higher end euro jobs, I'll be into these just a few hours time fixing up tables and arms he is selling. Well they came in yesterday when he was here to pick up the Goldmund table with the T3 linear tracking arm.

While he was here I thought I'd open them since they have replaced tweeter/super tweeter and we didn't know the condition of the woofer.

Now since I need to make this long since I haven't posted in months, lemme get the back story out of the way.

I swapped a handcrafted Hafler DH-200 power amp for a pair of Luxman MB3045 tube amps back in the mid-80s. These use a proprietary power tube, the 8045G and driver tube the 6240G. The power tube is NLA. So once I had exhausted the ability to use the worn-out tubes, I put them in their boxes and parked them in the basement. Years later Al Gore had finished inventing the internet and I was able to contact someone on the asylum and obtain a copy of the Luxman manual to modify the amps to use the KT88/6550 power tube. I made the changes listed and tried to bias/balance the amps and there was no response to moving either of the adjustment pots. Back into the box they went or did I put them on the shelf in the soundroom since they look cool?

Then with the internet, I started an audio group in our area that gets together monthly to cruise to tunes, suck suds, nosh and chat. I like it when folks bring over new to me music and play my stereo for me. Well the youngest member of that group, maybe about 40 at the time a half dozen or so years ago was very knowledgeable in tube amplification. Has a bunch of it, sounds good, what he has brought over for folks to hear. Anyway, I asked him if he'd drop by and see if we can get the amps going. So he shows up, I have the amp upside down, powered on and not moving the meter while checking the bias (75mA) or the balance (set to the same and repeat until the numbers stop changing). 500Volts coursing through the wiring in those amps.

Thain asks for a jumper, I hand him one and then step back about 6 feet. It appears he is going to connect a jumper inside a live amp with 500 Volts DC in it. He does so and nothing smokes and once I got close enough to make adjustments the bias and balance were working just fine. What? It was that easy, just a jumper? Well yes. The manual did not call out the jumper from the choke to the terminal strip with a resistor over to the tube pin. A part of the mod left out of the instructions.

Anyway that is the story of how the internet got my best sounding amps up and running. Conversion manual and technical help to complete the conversion.

Back to the speakers.

Turns out these DQ-10s might contain a highly regarded modification to remove the tweeter/super tweeter and replace with a better sounding soft dome tweeter and uses a ribbon for the super tweeter. Found out what drivers I have and searched and found out about a Randy McCarter DQ-10 mod that uses the Audax tweeter and JVC ribbon. Randy was the principle in Randall Research an early pioneer in high performance interconnects and wiring.

All the info I have found is folks talking about this mod they had or saw back in the mid-80s well before the www. Some of those folks that talk about it are not listed on the audio sites anymore and others are obviously getting older. Hopefully, the one I have contacted so far will get back to me or maybe I can find another person to reach out to about this mod so I can restore these to be upgraded DQ-10s.

Be great to have some of the best of the mid-80s playing in my soundroom to go along with other top gear from that era. The DQ-10 is still a viable speaker today, especially at the price. But a hot-rodded pair would be great. But finding the info is gonna be harder than getting the amps working.

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I’m playing with Dayton AMTPOD-4 air motion transformers on mine. Frequency response out to 25khz, 90db/w/m. I also unhooked those nasty piezo things and the 80uf electrolytic cap in the crossover is now a 75uf film cap. I might fix that black plywood to be more like the factory dome tweeter baffle
IMG_2706.jpeg

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I did some research on the tweeter replacements and didn’t turn up much, except the Visaton replacement that is pretty much the same as stock

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I did some research on the tweeter replacements and didn’t turn up much,
Tweeter upgrades were a thing back when the speakers were the thing, 1980-1990, all before the interweb and now there are just discussions of replacements for damaged tweeters as folks aren't hotrodding the DQ-10 anymore. Moved to more modern gear to tweak. So the early upgrading was lost in discussions between people and maybe some magazine info but nothing on the web I guess.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Any of ya'll running Vandersteens? I ask as Nakdoc suggested I listen to some as the natural progression from DQ-10s. The Vandy 1Ce looks like it would be more room-friendly for my 12 x 14 space that DQ-10s, just wondered if they are being improved or if everyone is happy with them as is?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I had model 1s and did not replace them until I heard Thiel.

I suggest the latter- 2.2 (or 2 2) or 5 series and up. 1.0 not good and the 3.x use the external EQ box.

They are about 4 feet tall or more if that is a consideration. Also need a good room so you can move back enough. But worth it.

Need power (overhead) to sound their best.

Pretty much the same as any good speaker.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I had model 1s and did not replace them until I heard Thiel...
How do the Thiels' sound compare to the Vandersteens? I'm speaking to the sense of openess, if that's an accurate word. As the Thiel drivers are enclosed, I'd expect at least some difference.

If I were to chase Thiels, they would also be on the smaller end. I've only got a 12 x 14 room, after all, and I'd want to loose some furniture to make more room. The sofa we bought for the room is just a foot or 18" too long - should have gotten a love-seat sized piece of furniture. Might do two chairs of some sort, also. Still need to keep the corner desk for work but it's mostly out of the way in the corner across from the speakers, records, and system. But it still places some limits on room arrangement.

All of this, of course, is completely dependent on the state of the estate.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
As to Vandersteens, I have recently read that the DQ-10 needs something more than the Vandy 2 to be surpassed. I don't know. My brother bought a system in the early 90s, the SP-9II and McCormack DNA-1 that are my main rig regulars (among others) and a pair of 2Ces. He has mentioned an issue with one of them but he doesn't use them with much power so that issue, maybe a loose spider, is not audible. I need to get them over here and give them a listen and investigate the issue. Any driver needing repair can make the short trip to Millersound to be made better than new. He just completed some work on my Seas 13" woofer from my Dahlquist DQ-1W sub.

Now that I have decided to open the Speaker Restoration Salon in my 3rd bedroom, I can move gear out of the soundroom to make room for the Vandies.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
As to Vandersteens, I have recently read that the DQ-10 needs something more than the Vandy 2 to be surpassed. I don't know...
I have to admit, I loved the sound of those DQ-10s I heard over at College Hi-Fi the other day. Just not sure I have room for a set. But I've lusted after a pair since I heard them in the mid-70s.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I keep going back to the stock tweeters on mine, those AMTs are too hot. Either way I like the dynamics and soundstage of the Dahlquists but they are fatiguing. I may just bite the bullet and do a full recap on the crossovers before I judge too much……

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I had to do recaps on the first two pair as they were new lytics in one and original lytics in the other one. This new pair going under the knife have piles of caps, 1.0 and 0.1µF in parallel with the main caps. Gotta sort that out. But they are quality caps from back in the day. I'll use the newer 80µF bypassed with a small film cap to replace the old 80 in this pair. That bypassed 80 was in use before I put that big Clarity cap in there.
White Back Side Superstructure.jpg
That is a lot of bypass caps. The oval one is 1.0 and the smaller round one is 0.1 so most are bypassed and some look to have a few extra to increase the capacitance. I have files on the changing of the crossover over the years on these and might look to make these the latest version...with consideration of the Audax tweeter and JVC Ribbon supertweeter.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I think the room is too small for Thiels. Your bass will suffer.

In a larger room, the best description I can give is bass drum finally sounds like a bass drum. I was standing at the window between the speakers and felt as if I was next to a bass drum. And I’ve spent over 40 years behind a bass drum, and have a pretty good idea of what they sound like. (Hint: not like 90% of recordings)

But my room is about 20’ long x 12-14 wide with speakers on the short wall. These are not super sensitive to proximity to back wall but I don’t think they’ll perform in that room. Honestly I’m not sure what would besides nice nearfields.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I think the room is too small for Thiels... Honestly I’m not sure what would besides nice nearfields.
In that case, I should stick with my LSAs unless I went with some Harbeth or Spendor monitors that don't have any ports on them (the LSAs have rear-firing ports I've stuffed with chunks of pool noodles so the bass stays reasonably tight with the backs of the speakers 6.5" off the wall).

J!m

Tagline
BOT
No rear port on the Thiels either but you’ll be too close and the program will not blend well- you’ll hear the tweeter and mid rather than the music if you know what I mean.

The 2.2 has a 6x9 front passive radiator. It’s a sealed box but still needs room to open up. But no port makes it forgiving with placement closer to a wall.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
How about KEFs? The Q3s I picked up might do okay in a small room. They're about 30" tall with front firing ports. I haven't listened to them too much but they sounded great with that NAD 3020 that I (finally) got sold.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
No rear port on the Thiels either but you’ll be too close and the program will not blend well- you’ll hear the tweeter and mid rather than the music if you know what I mean.

The 2.2 has a 6x9 front passive radiator. It’s a sealed box but still needs room to open up. But no port makes it forgiving with placement closer to a wall.
I was thinking 1.2 or 1.6s, actually, Jim. And I'll see if I can find a set of KEFs to listen to, Kyle. Thanks. I've considered the LS50s but again, rear ports.

Edit to add: I like bass, but it's got to be fast bass, if you know what I mean. I tend towards the lean, detailed side of the spectrum. Listening to the live Hell Freezes Over version of Hotel California as I write this and I think things are pretty good but a real drummer might hear things differently.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I've had a couple pair and recapped them to the same with films and mirrored them. Got a couple pair of bespoke stands made and sold a pair to a buddy in our audio group. Other pair in my mains, look and work great with 50 watts of tube power (I use subs so the tube amps aren't doing anything below about 50Hz) and play as loud as needed by our group.

Anyway, jb offered a set of 10 for 2 bills and since I work on the tts he flips, odd higher end euro jobs, I'll be into these just a few hours time fixing up tables and arms he is selling. Well they came in yesterday when he was here to pick up the Goldmund table with the T3 linear tracking arm.

While he was here I thought I'd open them since they have replaced tweeter/super tweeter and we didn't know the condition of the woofer...

Turns out these DQ-10s might contain a highly regarded modification to remove the tweeter/super tweeter and replace with a better sounding soft dome tweeter and uses a ribbon for the super tweeter. Found out what drivers I have and searched and found out about a Randy McCarter DQ-10 mod that uses the Audax tweeter and JVC ribbon. Randy was the principle in Randall Research an early pioneer in high performance interconnects and wiring.

All the info I have found is folks talking about this mod they had or saw back in the mid-80s well before the www. Some of those folks that talk about it are not listed on the audio sites anymore and others are obviously getting older. Hopefully, the one I have contacted so far will get back to me or maybe I can find another person to reach out to about this mod so I can restore these to be upgraded DQ-10s.

Be great to have some of the best of the mid-80s playing in my soundroom to go along with other top gear from that era. The DQ-10 is still a viable speaker today, especially at the price. But a hot-rodded pair would be great. But finding the info is gonna be harder than getting the amps working.
Any opportunity yet to see how they sound compared to the stock DQ-10s?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Amp has a lot to do with that tight fast bass too Bob...you know that though...K's do pretty tight bass....nothing flabby about it.