PL 300 S2

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
The manual says a maximum of + or - 10 mV DC offset voltage. It's within spec.
Going to install some Budwig feet on the bottom plate and she's done for now.
Future mods will be replacing the ceramics with silver mica and film.
you have noce testing equipment mr. george!!!
thanks for sharing...

George S.

Klaus Schulz.....The Rhodes Elegy
Yup, excellent little amplifier. Driving the JBL Millenniums. This will work well in the active system if the gain structure is close enough to the WOPLs.
The A30 Professional version of this is now listed on eBay. Poor condition and ridiculously way over priced.

Attachments

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Thanks Gene. I find the test equipment fascinating and very interesting. Wish I could afford more of it, but piece by piece I'm getting there.
Like you, I enjoy fixing the old stuff and learning how it works.
we have the best of both
Yup, excellent little amplifier. Driving the JBL Millenniums. This will work well in the active system if the gain structure is close enough to the WOPLs.
The A30 Professional version of this is now listed on eBay. Poor condition and ridiculously way over priced.
recognize the vlc logo...used that many many years ...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Should work In the active system like a glove...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yeah but it is 600W George :)

George S.

According to my calculations it'll do 600 watts per channel into 1.5 ohms. Service manual says it should output 31 Vrms before distortion rises. So using the Watts Law AC equation, 30x30 divided by 1.5= 600 watts. There's probably a mountain of factors that I don't understand that wouldn't allow this. :)
On a serious note, been running the amp continuously all day playing Klaus Schulze FLAC files because his music has so much dynamic range. It just keeps getting better and better as those new caps settle or burn in. Just another thing I don't understand and probably never will as I can't see it or touch it. Has to do with aluminum oxide forming on the caps internal surfaces from the little I've read. I believe it's a real effect, and not imagination.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
According to my calculations it'll do 600 watts per channel into 1.5 ohms. Service manual says it should output 31 Vrms before distortion rises. So using the Watts Law AC equation, 30x30 divided by 1.5= 600 watts. There's probably a mountain of factors that I don't understand that wouldn't allow this. :)
On a serious note, been running the amp continuously all day playing Klaus Schulze FLAC files because his music has so much dynamic range. It just keeps getting better and better as those new caps settle or burn in. Just another thing I don't understand and probably never will as I can't see it or touch it. Has to do with aluminum oxide forming on the caps internal surfaces from the little I've read. I believe it's a real effect, and not imagination.
If you put your ear really close to the capacitors, you can hear the oxide forming :)

SirPaulGerman

New Around These Parts
I also got a PL 300 for $175 is working fine, sound really good, very much like a modern amp. I am going to send the it to my tech for a restoration, any mods besides better parts ?

George S.

Really no upgrades that I'm aware of other than doing a full recap, inspection of all boards and joints, get all the flux off the boards.
Mine has sat unused since I gave it a little burn in time.
I do want to add a IEC socket to it.
Eventually it'll do tweeter duty on a 4-way amp/active crossover system.

George S.

If it's working, just get it recapped. This was built during the era when Pioneer owned PL. Better parts were used( this can be argued :)). Uses the same output transistors that Pioneers flagship receivers used at this time period.

SirPaulGerman

New Around These Parts
If it's working, just get it recapped. This was built during the era when Pioneer owned PL. Better parts were used( this can be argued :)). Uses the same output transistors that Pioneers flagship receivers used at this time period.
How do you like the amp so far ?
Did you do any comparison with his siblings ?

George S.

How do you like the amp so far ?
Did you do any comparison with his siblings ?
I haven't used mine at all since the initial burn in after the recap. I think it would be a excellent amp for a smaller room with book shelf speakers.
A large room with floor standers? Probably not so good.
Tweeter duty in a active crossover system? That's my goal for it.