what are you listening to?

borchee

Journeyman
been experimenting with lossless and hi res lossless streaming...
Don't!

Losless is losless, however you twist and turn it, period! Any difference in sound you migt have noticed is due to mastering/mixing/and what-not and not due to format/standard...or wishfull thinking. 16 bit 44.1 kHz exceeds your/mine/human audible perception quite easily - especially at the stage of one not being a spring chicken anymore. Same with SACD and the simmilar marketing BS.

The blown tweeters...2 sets!...Houston, we have a problem! - eagles fly high.

Edit...I like...

1678300358555.png

Last edited:

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Don't!

Losless is losless, however you twist and turn it, period! Any difference in sound you migt have noticed is due to mastering/mixing/and what-not and not due to format/standard...or wishfull thinking. 16 bit 44.1 kHz exceeds your/mine/human audible perception quite easily - especially at the stage of one not being a spring chicken anymore. Same with SACD and the simmilar marketing BS.

the blown ones had a 50 watt rating...had the sensitivity i wanted along with the other specs...
the ones i have now tweeter horns...are 300 watt rated peak...150 watt constant...and higher sensitivity....97db at 1 watt...1 meter...
they are more noticable than the soft domes....no names i saw on amazon...
any suggestions...

gene french

Tagline
Don't!

my note 9 has a built in dac rated at 32/384k....because it has a built in headphone jack...
when streaming through chrome cast...the lossless label disappears...
but shows the specs when streaming out the headphone port....
there is a difference between standard and lossless....
if i listen to one...then the other...i can not tell the difference...
nor do i think i could pick it out at random....with someone else on the controls...
however, when the apple music setting is switched from lossless to standard....you can definitely tell the difference....
as it switches on the go....to me...sounds ever so slightly less crisp....nothing earth shattering or heart stopping...
i am not going to spend a lot of money chasing this rainbow....but, i do want to experiment and learn what i can...
there is a noticable drop in volume when streaming off of the headphone jack....
was gonna spend a bit for an external dac usb driven from the note 9 to the preamp that includes a headphone amp....
the schiit dac outputs 2 volts rms....
so with a close impediance match....the volume should stay up there...
just want a bit more knowledge than i dont have at the moment....
any suggestions are welcomed please....
inquiring minds want to know...

and how did you know i am no longer in the spring chicken catagory....lol
i did a self hearing test with and audio app that i bought...it has a signal generator and i have calibrated mike...
my hearing stops a little above 13k hz....
too many tractors, airplanes, and shotguns...
ahhh....not to forget mad wife....
lololol

gene french

Tagline
On stage, it is common to use a lightbulb to limit current to the tweeters...
would that be similar to the dim bulb tester model??
all other speakers are rated at 200 watts or more....
except those tweeters....
but, i never thought i would get 50 watts that high...
set at 2500 to 20k hz...active not passive crossovers...dsp
but, could have been some transient distortion...
even though i have a type 2 whole house protection and on the stereo system two inline type 3 surge suppressors...
some still get through....we have very nasty power here....

gene french

Tagline
Yes, but not to your immediate satisfaction, sorry, I wish I could. Open a new thread regarding your problem and state the brand and type of them as well as of the amp...any kind of measurments and detailed occurance description can't hurt either. Good luck.
ever notice how many rabbit holes are contained in this hobby....from cables to insulated bolts on the transformer....to dac...lossless...
its a long list....
lol

borchee

Journeyman
ever notice how many rabbit holes are contained in this hobby....from cables to insulated bolts on the transformer....to dac...lossless...
its a long list....
lol
Depends on the point of view.

If you go the science route, equipment exceeded human hearing decades ago. The only technical improvement I can think of, due to progress in materials, is with transducers (microphones/speakers/headphones). This regards the High Fidelity of reproduction/recording of sound. Then there's the acoustics of one's listening room, placement of speakers and the sweet spot. It's easier with headphones, although I like my intestine to feel music too.

If you go the audiofool route...too bad, as you will forever chase capacitors, resistors, cables, connectors, cable risers, mats, feet, fuses, transistors, op-amps, dacs, formats, ear cushions, demagnetisers, contact liquids/cleaners, antistatic guns, solder and anything else a clever salesman comes up with, instead of enjoying the one thing for all this crap to exist anyway...music. I wonder how high-end air is not sold by now...perhaps I should start marketing it myself?! Fancy a bag from the Alps?

gene french

Tagline
Depends on the point of view.

If you go the science route, equipment exceeded human hearing decades ago. The only technical improvement I can think of, due to progress in materials, is with transducers (microphones/speakers/headphones). This regards the High Fidelity of reproduction/recording of sound. Then there's the acoustics of one's listening room, placement of speakers and the sweet spot. It's easier with headphones, although I like my intestine to feel music too.

If you go the audiofool route...too bad, as you will forever chase capacitors, resistors, cables, connectors, cable risers, mats, feet, fuses, transistors, op-amps, dacs, formats, ear cushions, demagnetisers, contact liquids/cleaners, antistatic guns, solder and anything else a clever salesman comes up with, instead of enjoying the one thing for all this crap to exist anyway...music. I wonder how high-end air is not sold by now...perhaps I should start marketing it myself?! Fancy a bag from the Alps?
there is a lot of truth there....
i do however think there is a suitable compromise....where one strives to improve his lot in life...without blind obsession...
i doubt anyone listens to more music than we do here....
the amps are powered up at 8 am....and play till about dark and supper time....
i am sure you will agree that some equipment sounds better than others....
i do believe the changes i have made....multi amp...dsp over passive xovers....has made a difference in my enjoyment of the hobby....
as with everything in life....as mom says....moderation...
lol
thanks a bunch!!!!

J!m

Tagline
BOT
would that be similar to the dim bulb tester model??
all other speakers are rated at 200 watts or more....
except those tweeters....
but, i never thought i would get 50 watts that high...
\
Basically a small bulb in series. Usually in the cabinet, but sometimes outside. Generally a Christmas bulb, and it should be so dim you can't tell it's on, but if something goes wrong, it'll light up. Really wrong, and it'll blow. My bass player friend (Bob, who did the holiday video) built bulbs into a few of the cabinets he made for his bass rig. And when things got crankin' the bulb would light up.