Bad DAC

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I got a Zhaolu D2.5 DAC used at an audio meet some time ago - a good deal. I've been using it to interface the TV's digital output with the preamp, but sound quality has been going south. So, I put the Luxman in its place, as the Luxman A-007 has an internal DAC, and the sound is now smooth as butter. What to do with the Zhaolu? Opamps? Recap? Trash??

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I’d be considering opamps. I’d be willing to bet the ones you have are on par with what’s in my DAC- cheapest available on earth.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I took a look under the hood, and there was nothing obviously wrong. No caps were blown or leaking, and some of them are high grade - Nichicon Muse for instance. I counted five opamps - two on the headphone board (of little interest) and three on another board, so I may replace them later. In the meantime, the Luxman will go back into the main system and I'm going to enjoy the remote volume control again.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
OK...but it wasn't easy. To assist my 72 year-old eyes, I used one of my microscopes...so I had to read upside-down, which I'm fairly good at. Here's the code:

BB
OPA2604AP
66W1FCB

There were three, all with the same code.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Are they socketed for fast swaps? My DAC is and I already have compatible replacements to mess around with.

I originally planned to bypass the op amps and use (Lundhal) transformers but decided to stick with op amps and just get some quality units in there. I need to work out the mute position on my selector and get the face engraved and then I can mess around if I ever get any time.