Von Schweikert VR4 speakers

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
They gotta be getting a grand anyway…

If I was in the market, I’d pay 700 of my own dollars for these speakers. I doubt they’d suck, and if so, flipping at zero loss seems quite plausible.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
If I had the room, I'd be all over those VR-4s for $700. Then I'd figure out the amplification. I'd say they're very hungry beasties.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Heather on ak had a set of VR-4, I think but they didn't look anything like those. Just 4 black boxes. The ones linked are Jr. Maybe that's the difference.

I'd give em a listen.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
They have tubes powering them in the displayed setup...
True this, Joe, but those C-Js aren't SETs and the remarks under the photo that focuses on the amps said that they seemed underpowered even biamped with 150 watts per side to the mids and tweeters with a Kinergistics amp running the woofers. To me, that translates to the need for some serious amplification. Not that a pair MV-75s are not serious amplification...

krellmk

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Are you satisfied with the life you're living
Heather on ak had a set of VR-4, I think but they didn't look anything like those. Just 4 black boxes. The ones linked are Jr. Maybe that's the difference.

I'd give em a listen.
The are 4 black boxes just use that site as a reference

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
True this, Joe, but those C-Js aren't SETs and the remarks under the photo that focuses on the amps said that they seemed underpowered even biamped with 150 watts per side to the mids and tweeters with a Kinergistics amp running the woofers. To me, that translates to the need for some serious amplification. Not that a pair MV-75s are not serious amplification...
Likely the poor damping factor of tube amplification contributed to that impression.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Likely the poor damping factor of tube amplification contributed to that impression.
I've got no idea about amplifier design, Joe, so you offer an opportunity for me to get a bit of education. I've always heard that damping factor should be greater so there's more control over speaker excursion but always thought that was in relation to an amp's interaction with the woofer. How much will greater or lesser damping factor impact the mids and tweeters? Isn't their relatively smaller size more controllable? This, of course, assumes a larger woofer than mids/tweeter; I'd guess you'd want as much as possible on mid-woofers as part of 2-way speaker system, just as you'd want as much as possible on larger low-end speakers. Thoughts? Thanks in advance...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I've got no idea about amplifier design, Joe, so you offer an opportunity for me to get a bit of education. I've always heard that damping factor should be greater so there's more control over speaker excursion but always thought that was in relation to an amp's interaction with the woofer. How much will greater or lesser damping factor impact the mids and tweeters? Isn't their relatively smaller size more controllable? This, of course, assumes a larger woofer than mids/tweeter; I'd guess you'd want as much as possible on mid-woofers as part of 2-way speaker system, just as you'd want as much as possible on larger low-end speakers. Thoughts? Thanks in advance...
Hi Bob
Damping factor matters across the entire audio spectrum. Amplifier Damping factor rolls off with frequency. If you have a DF of 2000 at 20Hz, you will have 200 at 200Hz, 20 at 2KHz, 2 at 20KHz, etc.

True the mechanical time constant is greater on woofers than tweeters but DF still matters especially at 2KHz, the sweet spot of your listening spectrum.
Tube amps will typically have a DF of 150 at the low end, that will give you a DF of 1.5 at the 2KHz most sensitive point.