Mike Matthews owner of Electro Harmonix says no more Russian vacuum tubes in 2022

krellmk

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Are you satisfied with the life you're living
https://www.gearnews.com/mike-matth...ix-says-no-more-russian-vacuum-tubes-in-2022/

Yesterday, Russia imposed a ban on the export of some 200 goods in response to the sanctions imposed on it over the current conflict in Ukraine. We have confirmed that the ban applies to our seven brands of Russian tubes. Currently, the ban is set to remain in effect until the end of the calendar year.

Given this export ban, we will not be receiving any further tube inventory for these brands. A myriad of pressures — including continued strains on the supply chain, escalating internal expenses, mounting inflation, and an ever-evolving legal landscape (particularly in light of the Ukraine conflict) — have created a very fluid and ambiguous environment. Until we can properly assess the impact of these factors, we will not honor any new orders or ship any more Russian tubes on back order.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
J!m, that is not it. putin needs them to for his military electronics. So much is getting shot up he needs some replacements and well tube production there isn't enough to handle both their increased military demand and exports.

At least that old worn out crap he sent to Ukraine appears to be using tubes for their electronics sections. And the news cast say cheap Chinese tires causing convoys to have to stop more frequently.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I would have thought he was at least into the 20th century with his technology by now.

If that is true, he is not going to fair well in WW3. All his neighbors have more advanced military tech. We overhaul engines for Poland and Israel and I can say they do not rely on vacuum tubes for anything.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Years ago I read that the Soviet military still used tubes because they were less susceptible to EMPs from nuclear detonations.
I don’t think they are impervious to EMP… if they were, everyone would still be using them.

Only pure mechanical stuff is.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I don’t think they are impervious to EMP… if they were, everyone would still be using them.

Only pure mechanical stuff is.

And ERMP's will attack tubes. Anywhere a voltage spike or damaging currents can be induced, it will affect it. Yes purely mechanical stuff is immune

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
And ERMP's will attack tubes. Anywhere a voltage spike or damaging currents can be induced, it will affect it. Yes purely mechanical stuff is immune

We had many issues with tubes popping out of the sockets taking a Cat Shot or hitting the arresting gear on the carrier. Hell, even when our LC-130's would land in Antarctica we always got radar and other inductions into our shop because the landings would rattle the shit outta that stuff.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
I had thought about ordering some Nixie tubes to play around with from Ukraine recently. They have quite a variety of vintage mad scientist supply's on Ebay from that whole area. Or did have I guess.