I’m considering an iron upgrade…

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I have an older Weller that works fine, but sometimes I’d like more horsepower for heavier leads and/or stubborn lead-free solder.

I’m considering this fancy gizmo (also Weller) the WE1010NA which spins the dynamometer at 70watts and is temperature adjustable. My current one is 60 watt non adjustable. I figure the ten watts will speed recovery.

Anyone have one, or an alternate selection to look into?

George S.

I like Hakko. Type Hakko into eBay and look at all the weird specialized soldering equipment and other items they've made over the years. Also lots of cheap clones available.
Some of my favorite items to look for are the desoldering stations, tip polishers and thermocouples. Yes, they make a motorized tip polisher. I'll use the "manual" 599B tip cleaner for now.
Any soldering tip shape and size one may want is available. I use genuine Hakko tips because off their superior tin plating.
Beware of knock offs, the last "genuine" 907 iron I bought was fake.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I have the WE1010NA, works fine! BIG difference from my old one, the PEM nuts on backplane assembly was a breeze!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I use a pair of WD1 stations. Been using them for years. I alternate them and keep one for backup just in case. I also keep a couple 80 Watt Pencils to go with them and parts to rebuild them and a couple sets of tips. Things to keep in mind, is the parts like the irons/tips/elements etc......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203201317703

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Get the 80W unit, the one that powers the WSP80 pencils...you need the power.
I think that is a significant jump in price. This one I'm eyeing is a 70W machine. I may have to go used if I need 80W power... This isn't my full-time gig like you and Dr. Sniff. I will say that this 60W iron is so much more pleasant to use than the (also Weller) pencil iron (with built-in LEDs!) the company has here.

The guy who does our robot programming and turntable/robot integration has a digital pencil. It has a temp display on the handle with + and - buttons to adjust. That works decently but I end up pushing the wrong button at the wrong time...

I had never heard of Hakko until here.

What specific model would we collectively suggest for 80W of component-destroying power? I got me a $50 Amazon card burning a hole in my pocket...

EDIT- the LED iron is 40W. No wonder I hate it...

2nd EDIT- Yeah, double the cost for 80W: Weller WT1013NP - WT1 Soldering Station, WP80 Iron, and 522N Wire Cutter - - Amazon.com

3rd EDIT- Does the WSP80 pencil work with the WD1 station? If so, that might be the "hot" ticket... (used of course)

4th EDIT- I think it does, but if anyone could confirm, I'd appreciate it!

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I think that is a significant jump in price. This one I'm eyeing is a 70W machine. I may have to go used if I need 80W power... This isn't my full-time gig like you and Dr. Sniff. I will say that this 60W iron is so much more pleasant to use than the (also Weller) pencil iron (with built-in LEDs!) the company has here.

The guy who does our robot programming and turntable/robot integration has a digital pencil. It has a temp display on the handle with + and - buttons to adjust. That works decently but I end up pushing the wrong button at the wrong time...

I had never heard of Hakko until here.

What specific model would we collectively suggest for 80W of component-destroying power? I got me a $50 Amazon card burning a hole in my pocket...

EDIT- the LED iron is 40W. No wonder I hate it...

2nd EDIT- Yeah, double the cost for 80W: Weller WT1013NP - WT1 Soldering Station, WP80 Iron, and 522N Wire Cutter - - Amazon.com

3rd EDIT- Does the WSP80 pencil work with the WD1 station? If so, that might be the "hot" ticket... (used of course)

4th EDIT- I think it does, but if anyone could confirm, I'd appreciate it!
Weller WSD80 Soldering Station Power Unit | eBay

goes with WSP-80 pencils...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
It seems the WSP-80 also fits the WD1 Dr. Sniff suggested.

I guess I'll have to use the Amazon card on tips and stuff...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I think I have something, but not 80W... 120W! Used, of course, but the base I found (WD1 M) is still under warranty for a couple months I guess. Iron will be a used one.

Just reading through the manual of the WD1 M, and it's pretty slick! Temp calibration and other esoteric features I have no hope of ever understanding...

I'll keep everyoine posted here with my final answer, but that is looking like something I will never outgrow. (plus I should be able to get a few bucks for my current, fully functional iron).

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I think I have something, but not 80W... 120W! Used, of course, but the base I found (WD1 M) is still under warranty for a couple months I guess. Iron will be a used one.

Just reading through the manual of the WD1 M, and it's pretty slick! Temp calibration and other esoteric features I have no hope of ever understanding...

I'll keep everyoine posted here with my final answer, but that is looking like something I will never outgrow. (plus I should be able to get a few bucks for my current, fully functional iron).
Your next jump after that should be to the Metcal...top of the line.

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
I have the Wd1010NA or whatever and it suits what I do fine. I do a fair amount of soldering on my trains and between it, my resistance soldering unit, and small torch I have all the bases covered. I doubt it would stand up to serious circuit board work day after day , but for occasional work it seems to hold it's own. Much better than pencils.