3 WOPL's in the pipeline (+1)

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I lied, this is #4 or 5

This one will be done in a few days. It's all Joes fault. He should have known that I needed Bulk Caps with my order. He IS the Wizzard ya know and should have red my mind. :)

Anywho, Unless somebody is in need of a 700B WOPL with a new chassis/Face Plate in black, it will be heading to the Bay.

IMG_6411.jpg IMG_6412.jpg IMG_6413.jpg IMG_6414.jpg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Probly wrong thread, quick question, do the bias transistors need to be P strapped down to the chassis?
Yes, but with the backplanes they have an aluminum standoff they attach to which in turn is attached to the backwall..

Juikster

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Damn, didn't realize how much STUFF it takes to do a build like this. It's been a while since I had 3 amps to build (And another next week). Three 700B's and a 700 Series II and I do believe I'm going to be due for a vacation when this is all over. This isn't ALL the parts either. I already stripped one amp, and the other 3 I'll strip on Monday/Tuesday. Looks like I'll be a soldering MOFO this weekend. I got transformers to clean and paint, a half a million 3" wires to dress and tin, meter boards and 6 back plane boards to build, 3 control boards to build, analog meters to clean and prep, DCP's to finish, switches to.............................

One of our new members (Crestwood23 who's name is Tyler), will be the proud owner of one of these 700B's built in the traditional scheme with a silver faceplate handles and knobs, and warm white lighting (I couldn't talk him into Lime green). Guess I'll document the builds at the same time and blow this thread UP.

View attachment 44627 View attachment 44628
You Sir Kick Ass on this stuff!!! Excellent
You my or not remember me yet I have two Super fantastic WOPL PL units you built for me a few years back...Got this question though if you can help me out. I aqquired two Marantz vintage tuners from Europe In almost out of the box brand new condition.. Both are of the same design and circuitry yet One is the 2130 label tuner and one is the ST8 version of the 2130 tuner. They are original yet Japan built like the others here in the states when they came out back when...These both have the selector rotator on back that can be switched from 220 to 120 v. yet labeled 50hz on both. So my question is, here in the states at 60hz, is that an issue regarding these being labeled 50hz frequency... Thanks Sniffer in advance...

By the way those two Phase linear WOPL you built me are the best equipment I evar owned....You are the master.....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
You my or not remember me yet I have two Super fantastic WOPL PL units you built for me a few years back...Got this question though if you can help me out. I aqquired two Marantz vintage tuners from Europe In almost out of the box brand new condition.. Both are of the same design and circuitry yet One is the 2130 label tuner and one is the ST8 version of the 2130 tuner. They are original yet Japan built like the others here in the states when they came out back when...These both have the selector rotator on back that can be switched from 220 to 120 v. yet labeled 50hz on both. So my question is, here in the states at 60hz, is that an issue regarding these being labeled 50hz frequency... Thanks Sniffer in advance...

By the way those two Phase linear WOPL you built me are the best equipment I evar owned....You are the master.....

Yep, I remember you for sure, Haven't talked to you in a while. Switch them to 120V and they should work just fine.

Juikster

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Yep, I remember you for sure, Haven't talked to you in a while. Switch them to 120V and they should work just fine.
Im going to test your memory Perry.....any one of these amps ring a bell? Jenny...Phat Ho... or maybe, hmm, kiki.... They were all wondering if they had any other brothers or sisters out there?....like themselves? Let me know if you have an old broken down restorable 700b around cause these ladies want to partner up and have a party...lol.....Ron.....aka juikster.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Im going to test your memory Perry.....any one of these amps ring a bell? Jenny...Phat Ho... or maybe, hmm, kiki.... They were all wondering if they had any other brothers or sisters out there?....like themselves? Let me know if you have an old broken down restorable 700b around cause these ladies want to partner up and have a party...lol.....Ron.....aka juikster.
Jenny, Phat Ho, and KiKi has MANY sisters and brothers out there. Probably somewhere near 100. I lost count. I don't have any core amps right now (except my 700B and 400 II ) but I will keep you in mind if I find any. The prices of the 700's are too high right now and it's been quite some time since I have looked at any cores. Keep an eye on the net, I can work with your amp if you find one. All we need to start is the transformer and meters. Just stay away from the first gen 700 :)

Juikster

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Thanks for chiming in Perry....Im sure your services have you a bit busy and rightfully so. Dont get the big head but I have personally witnessed your work...Man, wish I could keep my house as meticulously organized as your final product you ship out...lol...yeah, they are out there just have to find one and like classic car those puppies are fetching a higher premium I reckon...so I will do my part and keep my eyes peeled for that desperate soul willing to part with a donor....Thanks Perry......

P.S. Im still thinking though I have some your best sweet gals produced through out my house.....:p..

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Thanks for chiming in Perry....Im sure your services have you a bit busy and rightfully so. Dont get the big head but I have personally witnessed your work...Man, wish I could keep my house as meticulously organized as your final product you ship out...lol...yeah, they are out there just have to find one and like classic car those puppies are fetching a higher premium I reckon...so I will do my part and keep my eyes peeled for that desperate soul willing to part with a donor....Thanks Perry......

P.S. Im still thinking though I have some your best sweet gals produced through out my house.....:p..

I've been idle for about 3 months with the move here to Minnesota and all tools and equipment spread out between about 6 storage units. We close on the new house on Monday so I hope to be back to the bench soon. If you run across a Big powerful Sansui receiver (must be in primo condition), pick it up and I may be able to build you a Nice Shiny New 700B WOPL for it. :)

A G-9700 or a G-8700 have been on my list for a while.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
....So my question is, here in the states at 60hz, is that an issue regarding these being labeled 50hz frequency... Thanks Sniffer in advance...

As frequency drops, the size of the iron core of a transformer increases. So if the input transformer is rated for 50 Hz it will have no problem at 60 HZ. Also the ripple frequency of the power supply will be higher and the bulk caps would provide slightly less ripple voltage although it's not likely to make a noticeable difference.

Juikster

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I've been idle for about 3 months with the move here to Minnesota and all tools and equipment spread out between about 6 storage units. We close on the new house on Monday so I hope to be back to the bench soon. If you run across a Big powerful Sansui receiver (must be in primo condition), pick it up and I may be able to build you a Nice Shiny New 700B WOPL for it. :)

Been bugging for a few years now my old superviser has this Mega huge old school clean faceplate Sansui big box receiver I fell for and cause it has to be frigging relic but he is that kind that used it once in a blue moon, dont know, 70s or in their I suppose… yeah I will ask about it again. Anyways, guess what Perry, I traveled today mind you the total of 537 miles round trip to get a PL 700B from Marble Falls to Carrolton Tx. The couple were very laid back cool people. He had it up running through an old preamp pushing into some older Klimps big box speakers but I was afixed on the B…This guy had frickin every 33 LP album from the Beatles to whatever era in his collection you could ever amagine , damn two walls stacked of shit. Man. So I decided to take a gamble with this couple after the long hall behind the buick wheel.

Juikster

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---

Thats so cool. So Im sending you some pics of my road trip today…round trip 600 mi…this older audiofile couple sold me an unmolested 700b. The meters when pushed did move in tandum yet marginally. Not like full full needle.

Attachments

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Excellent!!!!!! I would have driven twice the distance for that. Great starting point if you want to have another WOPL built....... Now, put the pressure on the boss for the old Sui :)

Let me know what kind of time frame you are looking at. I have another customer I built 4 WOPL's, 2 RTR's, and several Pre's for wanting some preamp work done and that is the only work I have committed to.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Thats so cool. So Im sending you some pics of my road trip today…round trip 600 mi…this older audiofile couple sold me an unmolested 700b. The meters when pushed did move in tandum yet marginally. Not like full full needle.
Damn!