Hey Tape Guys - Who's Looking For Used Metal?

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Figured it was time to start offloading all the analog stuff. Got these off of an old guy with a Nak CR-3A a good while back. I THINK there's more laying around this cave and close to 50 total. A few blank J cards here and there in the bunch.

Someone make me an offer.. I'm going to say the guy used them once per tape as he had a very large collection of old stuff. You might find some of the music on them good for your taste.. who knows: he could have a rare Joplin concert recorded. You can never tell with some of these oldies.

I also have the CR-3A up for sale.. anyone interested in that, just let me know and I'll get some pics posted.

20211023_212246.jpg

Floyd Loonie

New Around These Parts
Tagline
If it's to loud-You're too old!!
I'm sorry, but I'm never quite sure what you young folks are going on about... When you say "Metal" are you making reference to the music genre we "boomers" invented- having been recorded onto those cassetts?? OR The High bias "chromium' type magnetic tapes such as the Maxell UDXL-11 that the aformentioned heavy/satanic sounding rock type of music is recorded upon??? Thank you! :)

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
I'm sorry, but I'm never quite sure what you young folks are going on about... When you say "Metal" are you making reference to the music genre we "boomers" invented- having been recorded onto those cassetts?? OR The High bias "chromium' type magnetic tapes such as the Maxell UDXL-11 that the aformentioned heavy/satanic sounding rock type of music is recorded upon??? Thank you! :)
Psst.. I'm 52 going on 21, pbbt. Now did you mean metal like Metallica (pre "pussy days"), Iron Maiden, Sabbath, Megadeath - THAT kind.. or did you mean wussy crap like Winger and Poison that your girlfriend made you listen to, or she would ask to go home before you had a chance to make a move on 'er?

(Joshin' ya bud, but Welcome to Phoenix)
:dmage::headbang:

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I’ll have a few…
I love you…
Olive you…
(Three phrases to confound lip readers…)

Anyway, I’ll take maybe five or ten, not all 50.
PM your price…

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
So is backed tape, ran Audua LB 1800 on a TEAC 4300 for quite a few years, it did take head material off, not as much as I thought it would..

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Alright, back to it here..

FYI there are a few requested in PM and another here in the thread, so I figured I better take inventory. That led into more yanked from the "closet of no return". Here's what has been pulled so far and "organized" just a wee bit. I think the box was something I wasn't expecting that just showed up..

Let me get a good list of what's available by length and brand/model... might take a few daZE.

Thanks. Yeah that's my CR-3A Nak in the background. I did Alex/A.N.T.'s ground mod to it (thanks Alex.. that REALLY did open it up). I am thinking to put that on the bay right now.

1635204049561.png

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
Curious:
Are metal formulations more abrasive to tape heads?
definitely so... especially the Vanadium ones. :p

(seriously... that should be just a sort of myth going on since forever... they are just nicely polished tapes, then they are OK, no worries.... in the end, heads will slowly wear out with use with any tapes and certain cheaper ones with less polished surface are more dangerous than metals for sure)

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Well Jim, yeah you might say I was holding out but...

Let's retitle this one as "Jer's No Longer Into Analog"..

43 TDK MA 90's (1985?)
5 TDS MA 110's later edition
37 Sony CDit IV's
14 Sony Metal SR's
16 TDK SA-90's 1979 Edition
29 TDK SA-90's 1985 Edition
13 Denon HD-8's, various lengths and editions
6 or thereabouts Sony UCX-90
2 Sony UCX-S 90's
6 RS MPX Metals, various lengths and editions

Various others.. including a Sony Metal Master that you wouldn't want to use but is good to brag about.

For equipment, we have the CR-3A in the background. New belt and Ant Mod on it, as I never felt a need to go any further with it (it was definitely well taken care of, just needed to un-goo the capstan belt).

I also have the DBX 224x that comes with it's original box, packing material and manual. The dbx IS on ebay right now, so until I see a bid there it's safe to haggle me here. Why I bring this up is because most of these are dbx-encoded. Unless you have your own, and you are interested to see what is on the cassettes, you may wan to consider it.

And finally look carefully in the back. An old demag tape, plus a outboard/demag wand and a few other cleaning items if interested.

So far we have the following pretty much spoken for..

1. 5 to 10 of the MA's go to MarkWComer if he wants to still deal.
2. The rest of the MA's, depending on what Mark wants, go to Derek down under..

The rest are fair game. Remember all of these are quite "vintage" so actual condition and use may vary. Let's set the tape prices..

Metals - 5.00 each
Type II/CrO2's - 2.00 each

Exceptions

Sony MM - 2 bucks.. Like I said they were nice to look at, but I just never had good luck with these even all perfectly wrapped.

BlackWatch 4040 metals - 1 dollar.. those gave me fits and they might be stretched. YMMV...

And.. the 2 Phoenix Type II's that it's also time to let go - 6.00 each or 10.00 for both.

I haven't quite decided on the Nak.. let me think a bit on that one.

1635210592363.png

MarkWComer

Tagline
definitely so... especially the Vanadium ones. :p

(seriously... that should be just a sort of myth going on since forever... they are just nicely polished tapes, then they are OK, no worries.... in the end, heads will slowly wear out with use with any tapes and certain cheaper ones with less polished surface are more dangerous than metals for sure)
My question was part heresay and part paranoia…
My sister had a Sony HandiCam 8mm video recorder and was warned by a salesman (right.. that kills any credence…) that metal tapes erode the head drum more than standard formulations. Just wondered if there was a grain of truth in the propaganda. Of course, I questioned whether TDK (or other manufacturers) would release a product that would destroy the machines they were intended to use. Seemed like bunk, but wasn’t sure.

Last edited:

MarkWComer

Tagline
Well Jim, yeah you might say I was holding out but...

Let's retitle this one as "Jer's No Longer Into Analog"..

43 TDK MA 90's (1985?)
5 TDS MA 110's later edition
37 Sony CDit IV's
14 Sony Metal SR's
29 TDK SA-90's 1985 Edition
13 Denon HD-8's, various lengths and editions
2 Sony UCX-S 90's

Various others.. including a Sony Metal Master that you wouldn't want to use but is good to brag about.

For equipment, we have the CR-3A in the background. New belt and Ant Mod on it, as I never felt a need to go any further with it (it was definitely well taken care of, just needed to un-goo the capstan belt).

I also have the DBX 224x that comes with it's original box, packing material and manual. The dbx IS on ebay right now, so until I see a bid there it's safe to haggle me here. Why I bring this up is because most of these are dbx-encoded. Unless you have your own, and you are interested to see what is on the cassettes, you may wan to consider it.

And finally look carefully in the back. An old demag tape, plus a outboard/demag wand and a few other cleaning items if interested.

So far we have the following pretty much spoken for..

1. 5 to 10 of the MA's go to MarkWComer if he wants to still deal.
2. The rest of the MA's, depending on what Mark wants, go to Derek down under..

The rest are fair game. Remember all of these are quite "vintage" so actual condition and use may vary. Let's set the tape prices..

Metals - 5.00 each
Type II/CrO2's - 2.00 each

Exceptions

Sony MM - 2 bucks.. Like I said they were nice to look at, but I just never had good luck with these even all perfectly wrapped.

BlackWatch 4040 metals - 1 dollar.. those gave me fits and they might be stretched. YMMV...

And.. the 2 Phoenix Type II's that it's also time to let go - 6.00 each or 10.00 for both.

I haven't quite decided on the Nak.. let me think a bit on that one.

View attachment 55906
Yup- still wanna deal. Ten TDK MA90!

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Ok, that brings it to

10 MA's for Mark, 33 for Derek
29 SA's 1985 to Derek
13 HD8's to Derek

LEFT..
5 TDK MA 110's later edition
37 Sony CDit IV's
14 Sony Metal SR's
2 Sony UCX-S 90's

MarkWComer

Tagline
Sent via PayPal, added extra for various “annoyance” fees, let me know if I fall short.

OF COURSE- update your inventory! Let us know of other tapes for sale!

(damn… I should have jumped on those Denons!)

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
My question was part heresay and part paranoia…
My sister had a Sony HandiCam 8mm video recorder and was warned by a salesman (right.. that kills any credence…) that metal tapes erode the head drum more than standard formulations. Just wondered if there was a grain of truth in the propaganda. Of course, I questioned whether TDK (or other manufacturers) would release a product that would destroy the machines they were intended to use. Seemed like bunk, but wasn’t sure.
Sure.
It's obvious that more people helped keeping the myth alive by spreading it.
There is a similar myth regarding the chromdioxid tapes (meaning just the pure chrome stuff) which is also going on till nowadays.

That said, I really believe that more than a specific formulation being more or less harmful, i'd say it's a matter of how much tape surfaces are polished while manufactured.