Flattening a warped record.

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
Hi all. I recently found a great method that really works to flat out a very warped record. I just put the warped one at the base of a 40-50 LP placed horizontally and keeping it this way for some good weeks, in my case the bad one was perfectly flat after some 7 weeks or so. The advantage of this slower method is that the record is not affected in any way and became perfectly playable with no grooves damage or deformation at all. Other methods using ovens and heat are too much aggressive and not so safe like this one. I post here before and after video with results. Have fun!

Sep.

Attachments

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
Sep... still need to check again that very warped record of mine which is being subjected to your method for quite some time now... I hope these latest very hot days here helped a bit... but, as we both just know, that record of mine was noticeably more warped than yours then it might need a lot more time to see some good results... we'll see...
Indeed, what you got there while flattening that record is impressive!
At first, i didn't expect it would really work but, hey, it worked there!

WOPL Sniffer... i hope i won't be forced to switch to your own way! :iconbiggrin:

EDIT: hey... it seems I've finally seeing some good effect... at now, my warped record might be approximatively as warped as how it was yours before putting it under weight... then, without even making a new video, I did directly put it back under weight and will leave it there for a few more weeks! Do consider this warped LP here was just hopeless... noticeably more warped than yours! And it's a rare press from the 80s i've never seen again for sale anywhere... then it worths the long wait to make it finally playable! (maybe, it might just be playable at now if I use the damper/brush on my Shure M97xE but, after all, I prefer to keep leaving it there under weight). ;)

Last edited:

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
Vince, of course your one was at least 2 x times warped than mine, but still after a while there was a progress! At least if not perfectly flat you can achieve a playable record to be able to save/digitise it. Anyway i think that leaving it this way stacked for more time it's straighten up even much more than it was! :tongue3:

Edit.. Ah great Vince, so it means your very warped one is not hopeless! Keep up the good work!

Sep.

Last edited:

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
actually, I don't exactly need to digitize it... it's the (rare) german press of "only theatre of pain" by Christian Death on gatefold cover and I also have the second (promo) 1993 USA press, the first (promo) 1982 UK press and the first regular 1983 French press (and also a CD!) of that same album!
But, anyway, I'd wish to make it useable... it's a rare press of this album, after all! And while playing the playable part of it years ago (my warp is at the edge and it mostly affects first couple songs at side A) , i had noticed it sounded quite good... but, maybe, the best sounding press among the ones I have here is the first french press which was pressed by MPO in 1983... but, after all, they do all sound just good.
Anyways, it definitely worths to be salvaged! ;)

It seems that, about the old/interesting presses of this album, I am missing only the first original 1982 USA press (most of them got burned there in USA, back then, once the people did realize what the lyrics were about!) and the Japanese press from about mid 80's... both of these are VERY hard to find and, if found, they would be just expensive.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Been awhile since I flattened a warped record. I used a thick plate glass under and on top of the warped record (while the record was protected in a sacrificial sleeve and jacket) then placed a piece of plywood on the top glass and weighted it down with a 36 lb. cinder block.

Q - How hot was it back in June in Squamish?

A - It was so hot, I found my prized collection was not the way I last left it.

vinylheat.jpg

Nando.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Been awhile since I flattened a warped record. I used a thick plate glass under and on top of the warped record (while the record was protected in a sacrificial sleeve and jacket) then placed a piece of plywood on the top glass and weighted it down with a 36 lb. cinder block.

Q - How hot was it back in June in Squamish?

A - It was so hot, I found my prized collection was not the way I last left it.

View attachment 53032

Nando.

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
OMG!

it's true this LP here was more warped than what Sep shown in his "before" video and it played with warp-related noises even with the Shure M97xE brush in use.
But nowhere as warped as what i see on the above picture. :oops:
I would rate those warped LPs as being not salvageable.

actually, i hope that one isn't a real picture of some of your own LPs, Nando.

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
Omg Nando! I hope those records in the pic are not yours! I'm very fond of my records collection too so i know this would be a tragedy! I still hope your ones are safe!

Sep.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
No, not my records. Just a dramatization of the extreme heat wave we experienced in June of this year. Set all sorts of new records for high temps like 43.0 °C (109.4 °F) on June 28th.

Nando.

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
This July was the most hot one since the last 60 years, with temps around 40°C or even beyond! It was a nasty hot summer and they do predict a very cold winter! If so, i'll feel like in the 80's when temps were regularly between -20 -27°C or so.. Never had such a cold winter since then.

Sep.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
yes... and here we had temperatures close to 40°C for a few days... the hot and humid air from the northern Africa loves to come here in the summer during the latest couple decades.

Tagline
A clear conscience is actually a bad memory.
Warped records.... sigh! I hate warped records, however i tried a trick an old DJ mentioned to me, get three thick panes of glass, one on the bottom, place the warped record on this one, and then place the other two sheets on top, and leave it outside in the sun ( Not silly sahara sun, but weak English sun! ) and leave for a few hours - Did the trick on my warped stuff!

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
i had read about that method, Shaun, but i fear the sun here in the southern Italy is a bit too aggressive... it will melt them badly.

Tagline
A clear conscience is actually a bad memory.
Hey Vince, You were so lucky not to have a new neighbour!! Mrs PC like myself, loves Italy!.... Next time we visit, hopefully soon, i will be knocking on your door for a Piano lesson and to hear some proper Italian tunes!

PC