Phase Linear 700 series 2 questions

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
That's as silly as the guys that spend the time and effort to get an amp running just to gut it for WOPLing....
I checked my 700 before rebuilding just to see if it did anything at all. Curiosity more than anything, but wasn’t gonna “fix” anything (other than a “gut ‘n’ build”). “Fixing” before a rebuild could serve to provide an A/B comparison for the curious, so there could be some point in the effort.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I checked my 700 before rebuilding just to see if it did anything at all. Curiosity more than anything, but wasn’t gonna “fix” anything (other than a “gut ‘n’ build”). “Fixing” before a rebuild could serve to provide an A/B comparison for the curious, so there could be some point in the effort.

An A/B comparison of a beat old amp to a WOPL?? Big waste of time. No comparison needed. After 100 amps I never was curious since it all goes in the trash and about the only thing reused is the transformer

Vynuladikt

Journeyman
Tagline
Love great audio, beermaking and pyrotechnics
I have a 700B that I recently acquired that was "quiet" on one channel. Got a good deal on it because of that. Found the fuse blown on that channel. My intent is a full WOPL treatment but I will check the outputs and power it up on a dbt prior to the gutting just out of curiousity to see if it was only a tired fuse that got me a bargain. No intention of repair, just honing troubleshooting skills.

Vynuladikt

Journeyman
Tagline
Love great audio, beermaking and pyrotechnics
Yes, if I was doing it as a source of income, I would never waste the time for "curiosity" sake. As a personal venture, I figure I might learn something about these old beasts and how they die. I'll venture a bet that when you started on these you did some exploration to learn what you know about them.

MarkWComer

Tagline
An A/B comparison of a beat old amp to a WOPL?? Big waste of time. No comparison needed. After 100 amps I never was curious since it all goes in the trash and about the only thing reused is the transformer
Well, it’s their time to waste if they want to...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yes, if I was doing it as a source of income, I would never waste the time for "curiosity" sake. As a personal venture, I figure I might learn something about these old beasts and how they die. I'll venture a bet that when you started on these you did some exploration to learn what you know about them.

Not me..... The limitations of the old junk wasn't worth it. There are other amps using similar designs that could be monkeyed with if I so desired.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I have a 700B that I recently acquired that was "quiet" on one channel. Got a good deal on it because of that. Found the fuse blown on that channel. My intent is a full WOPL treatment but I will check the outputs and power it up on a dbt prior to the gutting just out of curiousity to see if it was only a tired fuse that got me a bargain. No intention of repair, just honing troubleshooting skills.
Flame on. When you have a good look into it I am sure you will get it working again. May take an hour or two or a couple of weeks. When you do finally upgrade to a WOPL then you will really appreciate to difference.

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
That's as silly as the guys that spend the time and effort to get an amp running just to gut it for WOPLing....
Guilty as charged, got my 700B from eBay, repaired a few issues (thanks to Lee), had it running in my living room, was putting the covers over the transistors, accidentally shorted an output with a cover. 4 months later it was a full WOPL.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
More curiosity? Wish I had the time
Man, you’re skilled and know it. But why do you have to be so negative? I get you’ve answered these questions a million times, but these are all questions that are either from people willing to learn or wiling to spend money to upgrade or both. It is my opinion that your posts on this forum have a negative impact on Joe’s business and the hobby itself. I for one would never buy anything from you personally. We would probably disagree in person... Also by your posts here, you may seem to appear to outsiders, a representative of Joe/WO audio. You are the one person I don’t enjoy seeing posts other than technical from.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Man, you’re skilled and know it. But why do you have to be so negative? I get you’ve answered these questions a million times, but these are all questions that are either from people willing to learn or wiling to spend money to upgrade or both. It is my opinion that your posts on this forum have a negative impact on Joe’s business and the hobby itself. I for one would never buy anything from you personally. We would probably disagree in person... Also by your posts here, you may seem to appear to outsiders, a representative of Joe/WO audio. You are the one person I don’t enjoy seeing posts other than technical from.

I am nobody's rep.

If I see something as a waste of time I'll say so. Sounds like YOU have the issue. My voicing my opinion about fixing a 40 year old amp to turn around and WOPL is gives nobody's business negative impact. Buzz off

Cafe944

Journeyman
I'm with You, I was about to delete this forum for good, until, I learned about the, IGNORE option, just click on the members profile, select Ignore, and like magic,all his postings are gone, on your end. No more sarcasm and negativity.

MarkWComer

Tagline
I'm with You, I was about to delete this forum for good, until, I learned about the, IGNORE option, just click on the members profile, select Ignore, and like magic,all his postings are gone, on your end. No more sarcasm and negativity.
I’m glad you weren’t bullied away...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
I am nobody's rep.

If I see something as a waste of time I'll say so. Sounds like YOU have the issue. My voicing my opinion about fixing a 40 year old amp to turn around and WOPL is gives nobody's business negative impact. Buzz off
What you don’t understand is that YOU ARE a representative of this hobby and to a degree the sum product of this forum. Instead of being a mentor, you’re a crotchety old man who wires up amps. Your not a teacher, you pass on nothing other than a hand held out for shekels and negative posts. I’m not looking for a fucking hug box, but you are being IGNORED.

OZ of da trap

New Around These Parts
Been awhile but have found out a few months ago the primary problems with the amp. Had it tested /inspected via a local shop ($60) and for about $480 including labor & parts could get it done. Parts found faulty are half of the transistors, some resistors, and basic cleaning (they have a list of parts that they would sell me if I wanted to do the repairing myself). All the caps are good. So I think what I will do is decide on the parts I really wanted to use or get and or a kit if it covered the parts that are bad. I would go ahead and replace ALL the transistors instead of some. I have still many other projects that will come before this endeavor.
I also have a lot of HIFI associated equipment left for me from my cousin that may be sent by end of year or picked up after . Alot of it will tie into the new make up of my system/s.
Will open a new thread when the time comes for the refurbish of the PL700 II amp