Phase Linear 700 series 2 questions

OZ of da trap

New Around These Parts
NICE... I’ve got a pretty original 67 Biscayne, 4 door, 250ci, three on the tree that I bomb around in the summer with. It’s getting a little ragged but still original paint and interior. Here’s a big block I’m working on putting .903 lifters in, she’s 489ci and Hilborn mechanically injected. That goes in my ~70-71ish 19’ V-Drive Hondo flat bottom drag boat.
Appears you are Multi talented ......a way to save money and be proud of what you can do

OZ of da trap

New Around These Parts
Sounds good Phil.....

Lee
Another question ....based on the data off the amp: about what year was it made >
This 700 two has the following info sticker on the inside chassis side panel behind the fuse tb:

700 series Two 1100
Part 300-0053-0
quant 150
unit 71
on transformer 700 serial 10886

OZ of da trap

New Around These Parts
I'm sure I can do the work.soldering is one of my specialties.....patience and perfection are in my DNA. Its just a matter of my time, cost, outcome. I have many hobbies that presently involve in resto - moding street hi performance cars, performance engine building, speaker system enclosures/crossovers/recone , designing hi voltage / low voltage electrical control systems , welding, wood working just to name a few. I am
presently into a 67 nova super sport resto, refurbishing a Suzuki 140 hp outboard, and honey do items. My time is limited to when and what I want to do. The PL 700 may or not be a project in the near future...I will see
Thanks
There is a tech here locally I could take it to ( but I would like to do it myself). He's been here since mid eighties and does hi tech work. Down the street is The Speaker shop...services all brands from Altec to EV. I do my own cone redo while they do the voice coils etc . Time is not on my side with projects that are on going. Might just sell it. Here are a few pics of projects now and pics of the amp opened up. The on hands work is not a problem the findings and test and on going final checkout is the time consuming part of it. Could put it to sleep on a shelf in the shop another year til I am ready.

Attachments

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
Some of them transistor cases look like they were hammered in? Or is is just the picture/reflections? Never worked on or seen a series II. didn’t know they were reversed with the power supply on the right. (writing on your meter correct so pic isn’t inverted) interdasting.

OZ of da trap

New Around These Parts
Well yes and as you can see they are not the same numbers ....some have been replaced from factory part numbers ....we don't know if they were left that way during installing them of dented later. Most of us have been around long enough to not assume anything. Born into me in the aviation side of work Not to assume a thing.....verify it Is the appropriate part and suppose to be installed like that. In electronics devices it a matter of ohms, voltage, current, in engines its a matter of clearances, torque, and lubrication ...get them wrong one goes puff the other goes bang.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
TP9054'S are the same as the 15024's. Motorolarebranded them for PL
TP was for Terry Pennington, DB was another guy at PL but forgot his name.

OZ of da trap

New Around These Parts
Dented cases are only a problem if they contact the die.
Thanks. Im going to take a pre-shortcut and take it to the local guru here and give me the low down of what the problem is. I have found a few things but right now I got bigger things to do. He will just charge me for the usual entire evaluation fee for what's needed and what it would take to do a total refurbish. I've taken equipment to him before and the up front inspection charge and the "fix" charge has always been fair. He has done many linears of these over a period of time. I will ask questions though about the parts he would use and any "kits" he might use. Thanks

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Thanks. Im going to take a pre-shortcut and take it to the local guru here and give me the low down of what the problem is. I have found a few things but right now I got bigger things to do. He will just charge me for the usual entire evaluation fee for what's needed and what it would take to do a total refurbish. I've taken equipment to him before and the up front inspection charge and the "fix" charge has always been fair. He has done many linears of these over a period of time. I will ask questions though about the parts he would use and any "kits" he might use. Thanks
I despise the repair kits sold on EBAY. Rather than troubleshoot an amp they would have you change out every transistor and diode on the board. That's good for the seller, but if the unit still doesn't work it becomes a nightmare to figure out.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I despise the repair kits sold on EBAY. Rather than troubleshoot an amp they would have you change out every transistor and diode on the board. That's good for the seller, but if the unit still doesn't work it becomes a nightmare to figure out.
Especially when 90% of Phase Linear problems are on the back wall