Soldering Irons

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
I have a few different , application specific, soldering irons on the bench. I'm thinking it's time to upgrade and consolidate. I'm looking at this one Pace Iron. This one features easy to change tips. No it's not chepa, but I want an niron that heats up fast and delivers the heat when needed. Does anybody have any alternatives?

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Don, I use Hakko, and I think I've seen you mention you have the 802 desoldering gun, probably with a 470 control/vacuum unit. There is a Microcenter in downtown Columbus that carries Hakko, and of course, plenty available on the Bay. The 802/470 is a great unit, but yeah, very hard to get parts for it now as it's been out of production I think since mid 80s.

George S.

That reminds me, I need to watch the Bay for NOS 802 gun and 936 iron heating elements.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Don, I use Hakko, and I think I've seen you mention you have the 802 desoldering gun, probably with a 470 control/vacuum unit. There is a Microcenter in downtown Columbus that carries Hakko, and of course, plenty available on the Bay. The 802/470 is a great unit, but yeah, very hard to get parts for it now as it's been out of production I think since mid 80s.
I don't know about Microceneter in downtowwn, but I occasionally go to the one in N.W. Col's. It's geek heaven these days with a new section devoted to 3D printers and A.I. Yes they have the Hakkos.

I have the HAKKO 808 that doesn't want to die. Bought it used off of EBAY. Didn't work very good until I tore it apart and thoroughly cleaned it. Finally bought the proper cleaning pins. Was using bus wire which got way too hot too fast.

Thanks for the input. Time to pull the trigger on the Pace.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
@#$%^&*!!! Seller ended the Pace sale. Must have sold the Pace unit with all of the extra tips. Shoulda pulled the trigger. !@#$%^&* Zoom call delayed me.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
@#$%^&*!!! Seller ended the Pace sale. Must have sold the Pace unit with all of the extra tips. Shoulda pulled the trigger. !@#$%^&* Zoom call delayed me.

Yeah, when I clicked on your link when you posted an hour or 2 ago, it was gone. Thought you bought it.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I'm working on a good price for 2 10 amp Variac's in very nice shape.... No resto needed. I'll keep one and I offered the other to Mark but haven't heard from him one is a Watt meter model, the other is an amp meter model. I'm not gonna mess around either... Pulling the trigger on both and sell the Amp Meter model.

mlucitt

I'll keep one and I offered the other to Mark but haven't heard from him one is a Watt meter model, the other is an amp meter model.
Thanks for the offer. I jumped on an ebay Chineeese 20 Amp Variac clone (probably lucky if it is actually 9 Amps) for 70 bucks shipped. It may have 10 ounces of copper in the windings and I'll have to check the AC polarity (thanks for the tip). But it will work for now. Maybe I can build one of those twin/triple meter monsters some day when I have more space.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
My go to is Metcal MX-5200. Very pricey but I use it constantly. Quick change, on the fly, cartridge tips.

The Pace and Hakko stuff is good too. Many fine choices out there.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The seller backed out and had the balls to say "The Buyer cancelled the auction." So now WOPL and I are working on sharing a deal on two nice vintage Variac metered units.
Wow! A bunch of squirrely stuff going on lately. Probably was on the ship stuck in the Suez canal.