a question about amp conections

pat

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Music Lover
good night maybee i will feel better after my chemo treatment in the morning sorry if i offended any body

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
No one judging you here Pat. Just a bunch of yahoo’s that like to speak their mind. Our goal is to enjoy the music! Keep posting, we’ll figure it out. Getting a “Huh” from ‘Sniff is like getting a medal around here (harmless).

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Don't be shy Pat...and most of the banter is good natured even if it doesnt seem like it..

pat

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Music Lover
Well I feel much better today, my doctor told me I am CANCER FREE. (Stage -4, Un-Curable, Un- Opprable ) I beat it ! Thank You Jesus. Huh? Now LORD will you help me with my English and Spelling?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Well I feel much better today, my doctor told me I am CANCER FREE. (Stage -4, Un-Curable, Un- Opprable ) I beat it ! Thank You Jesus. Huh? Now LORD will you help me with my English and Spelling?
Glad you beat it Pat. Keep beating it, live long and prosper...

pat

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Music Lover
Now who out there, that referbs Phase Linear Preamps? I have the P3800 and the 2000 series 2 . Never had any work done on them as far as I know I have had them for many years. I feel they are worth the time and money if not real expensive. Worth checking into. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Now who out there, that referbs Phase Linear Preamps? I have the P3800 and the 2000 series 2 . Never had any work done on them as far as I know I have had them for many years. I feel they are worth the time and money if not real expensive. Worth checking into. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

There are many of us who have done those preamps in the past, take your pick.

$300-$400 is about the going rate.

pat

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Music Lover
There are many of us who have done those preamps in the past, take your pick.

$300-$400 is about the going rate.
I am just getting all kinds of good news lately. Thank You that is more than a fair price. I will be putting both in my budget right away. Thanks again Sniffer for your reply. At the risk of sounding like a ''BOZO'' what does WOPL stand for?

mlucitt

I am just getting all kinds of good news lately. Thank You that is more than a fair price. I will be putting both in my budget right away. Thanks again Sniffer for your reply. At the risk of sounding like a ''BOZO'' what does WOPL stand for?
WOPL Sniffer is thrifty with his words.
When you obtain (or drag it out of storage) a big Phase Linear amplifier, it is forty to fifty years old, having been originally released in 1972. We limit ourselves to the Phase Linear 400 and the Phase Linear 700 amplifiers in original and Series II flavors because these were the ultimate Bob Carver designs for loud, clear 'sound reinforcement' (we avoid the Phase Linear 200 and the later DRS Phase Linear amps released when Pioneer bought Phase Linear in 1979). In fact, many rock bands (Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, etc.) in the 1970's and 80's used the venerable PL700B in their stage sound setup. Unfortunately, these amplifiers had a tendency to 'latch up' in the front end, meaning the small signal transistors would turn on fully and allow the power supply voltage (75 or 100 Volts) to go directly to the speaker outputs, due to a tiny flaw in the Bob Carver design, and no one really understood why. This is the reason so many of these amplifiers were abandoned, speakers became more expensive and no one wanted to fry their new pair of AR, Polk, Advent, Infinity, Klipsch... well, you get the idea.
In the early 2000's, Joe, who owns and runs White Oak Audio, decided he could improve on the original Phase Linear design using modern components and computer-aided circuit design, neither of which were available to Bob Carver at the time. Joe offered these new amplifier Control Boards as an upgrade or to 'fix' a blown "Flame Linear" or "Blaze Linear" amplifier. We now have Revision G1 of Joe's original upgrade.
Due to Joe's excellence in audio and electronic engineering, the 'latch up' problem was solved and we often wonder if Bob Carver would have been the Bill Gates of stereo, if he had been able to correct this flaw in his design. He left Phase Linear in 1977 to form Carver in 1979 and then Sunfire corporation in 1994 and still designs amplifiers today. The last Phase Linear amp built was in 1983.
So, any Phase Linear 400 or Phase Linear 700 amplifier with a White Oak Audio Control Board is designated a WOPL, to give credit to Joe for improving the circuitry, and to Phase Linear for manufacturing the original product. Joe added bulk capacitors, new light bar designs, more rugged output transistors, backplane wire boards, faceplates, and even a new PL700 chassis to his list of products offered here:
http://www.whiteoakaudio.com/estore.aspx

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Some may consider a 700B or Series II (and 400's) a WOPL if it has a White Oak Control Board, but myself, I don't consider it a WOPL until it's been rebuild with ALL White Oak Upgrades. i.e. White Oak Back Planes, AND a white Oak Control Board and wired according to the White Oak Wiring/Grounding scheme. Although, the White Oak control board gives you many benefits, you don't get the full "E" ticket ride until they are ALL implemented together. Throw in a WattsAbundant DC Protection board, a WO Light Board/Meter Boards and all the little bits of hardware and you now have yourself a contender (actually, it murders any other contender). Until you get rid of any vestiges of the original amp, you are waiting for a catastrophic failure which can cause damage to your speakers/amp/home................ A half upgraded amplifier, IMHO is NOT a true WOPL.................... But.... Then again, what do I know??? I have only built about 100 of them. :)

Last edited:

pat

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Music Lover
WOPL Sniffer is thrifty with his words.
When you obtain (or drag it out of storage) a big Phase Linear amplifier, it is forty to fifty years old, having been originally released in 1972. We limit ourselves to the Phase Linear 400 and the Phase Linear 700 amplifiers in original and Series II flavors because these were the ultimate Bob Carver designs for loud, clear 'sound reinforcement' (we avoid the Phase Linear 200 and the later DRS Phase Linear amps released when Pioneer bought Phase Linear in 1979). In fact, many rock bands (Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, etc.) in the 1970's and 80's used the venerable PL700B in their stage sound setup. Unfortunately, these amplifiers had a tendency to 'latch up' in the front end, meaning the small signal transistors would turn on fully and allow the power supply voltage (75 or 100 Volts) to go directly to the speaker outputs, due to a tiny flaw in the Bob Carver design, and no one really understood why. This is the reason so many of these amplifiers were abandoned, speakers became more expensive and no one wanted to fry their new pair of AR, Polk, Advent, Infinity, Klipsch... well, you get the idea.
In the early 2000's, Joe, who owns and runs White Oak Audio, decided he could improve on the original Phase Linear design using modern components and computer-aided circuit design, neither of which were available to Bob Carver at the time. Joe offered these new amplifier Control Boards as an upgrade or to 'fix' a blown "Flame Linear" or "Blaze Linear" amplifier. We now have Revision G1 of Joe's original upgrade.
Due to Joe's excellence in audio and electronic engineering, the 'latch up' problem was solved and we often wonder if Bob Carver would have been the Bill Gates of stereo, if he had been able to correct this flaw in his design. He left Phase Linear in 1977 to form Carver in 1979 and then Sunfire corporation in 1994 and still designs amplifiers today. The last Phase Linear amp built was in 1983.
So, any Phase Linear 400 or Phase Linear 700 amplifier with a White Oak Audio Control Board is designated a WOPL, to give credit to Joe for improving the circuitry, and to Phase Linear for manufacturing the original product. Joe added bulk capacitors, new light bar designs, more rugged output transistors, backplane wire boards, faceplates, and even a new PL700 chassis to his list of products offered here:
http://www.whiteoakaudio.com/estore.aspx
Very interesting, I wish I had half the smarts as Bob Carver!!! Thank You for your time sharing this info with me. Never owned a Bob Amp of any type. Sure would love to here one, built right that is. My facanation with Carver equipment is growing thanks to this sight. Thanks to all of you. Pat