Unwell Phase Linear 700 series II

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I still have a bunch of new MJ21196 that were never used, I would only need the`95s.
The 2n6254s that were in there were mounted with a mica and some type of silicone pad with no thermal paste, should the new transistors be mounted the same way or with the more traditional mica/paste combination?

It had Mica AND the silcone pad???? Skip the mica/whale spooge

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Thanks for that grapplesaw. I have been unable to find any documentation pertaining to the comp version. Would you have a scan of those? I cant quite expand the image enough.
Here are the schematics. Try downloading them to get clearer image

Attachments

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
The 2n6254s that were in there were mounted with a mica and some type of silicone pad with no thermal paste, should the new transistors be mounted the same way or with the more traditional mica/paste combination?
Most of us here use silpads alone, no grease, no mica.

Michael F

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Here are the schematics. Try downloading them to get clearer image
Thanks for that :).
A quick look and I see a few discrepancies, the schematic shows D107,D108. Those seem to be MIA but there are two 10R resistors instead. The IC in the control board is different from that in the diagram too.

Attachments

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
A quick look and I see a few discrepancies, the schematic shows D107,D108. Those seem to be MIA but there are two 10R resistors instead. The IC in the control board is different from that in the diagram too.
Yes those are delegated by factory. These are the fly back diodes. Much debate as to there requirement in full complimentary setup but Joe said they will not hurt so I add them. I don’t think Ed likes them put in. Your choice

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
The ic should be lf351 and resistor r1 and r2 should be 7.5k 3 watt ( I use 5 watt or greater) with that opamp.

Michael F

Journeyman
Tagline
---
OK, so aside from what was already mentioned, I checked all the back plane resistors and did some (in circuit) testing of diodes and transistors. A B-C short was found on Q204, both Q 105 and Q205 had cold solder contacts and Q 205 measures questionably. All diodes seem ok with the exception of D105 and D205.
These part numbers are taken from a Quasi diagram which might not necessarily coincide with the Comp model PL36 board which incidentally seems less populated.

This all brings me to a crossroads.
Seven years ago when I rebuilt my 700B I was fortunate enough to have a lot of technical papers on hand ie schematics, service manual and revisions, part numbers and pcb placements etc and only through the generous guidance of Lee, Joe, NavLinear and several other members to whom I`m eternally grateful, did I manage to accomplish that project.

The lack of documentation in this particular case has me raising more and more questions as I go along:(
Add to that the other variable of the unknown "servicing" that was performed previously raises more concern.
At this point, I know the back plane needs to be repopulated but I`m wondering if I should just replace the stock PL36 board with a WO unit, if one even exists for the Series II?
That is exactly what I did with the 700B, I dont recall the board model or revision but it worked out very nicely.
I would hate to jeopardize 24 brand new outputs by some mystery issue that resides upstream.
Your thoughts?

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Attached is the 700II manual. Read the troubleshooting section. Also note that R101, (7.5k, 2W) is known to drift and open up. If you're concerned about damaging a bunch of outputs, install the drivers and one output in each column.

Attachments

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Save yourself hours of head scratching to understand the pl36 board in the full complementary setup and buy a new WhiteOaks F or G Board Very easy install using Joe’s documents. Also get a watts abundant DCP board from Don.