Unwell Phase Linear 700 series II

Michael F

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Hi All,
It`s been a while since I posted, hope you`ve been keeping well. I`m liking the sites new look.

I`ve been Phase Linear-less for a few years now but I`m back :). I just a acquired a model 700 which looks like it was manufactured yesterday, near mint condition but it`s very sick. The previous owner could only tell me that he purchased it already DOA while working in Riyadh Saudi Arabia back in 1980 and it`s been sitting in a box since. Just to be safe, the first thing that I did was put it on a DBT with all the B+/B- fuses in and took some readings.

With all fuses in, the bulb glowed very brightly but fuses didnt blow. Negligible DC present on both output terminals .250v
With Left channel fuses in and Right channel removed,bulb glows brightly with negligible DC present on both output terminals .250v
With Left channel B+/B- fuses removed,the light bulb dimmed, .250vdc on left terminal but the Right terminal now has 70vdc.

It wasnt until I started opening it up did I realize that someone at some point made an attempt to repair this amp, unsuccessfully. Fortunately the internals seem complete with no evidence of a catastrophic failure but there were a couple of issues, the most obvious being an entire bank of output transistors missing. They dont seem to be OEM transistors either but I could be mistaken.
The other thing that doesn't seem right is, if memory serves me correctly and if this design resembles the 700B, I believe the TO-3 drivers mounted at the bottom of each bank (RCA 410?) were different from the outputs (XPL 909?). Every TO-3 transistor in this amp is a 2N6254, is that even a compatible substitute?

I think I`ll start hunting down some manuals and schematics in the mean time and maybe pull and test all the TO3s and emitter resistors to start.
Seeing it`s such a nice amp, I`d love to resurrect it as I did my 700b with everyones invaluable help that I received here.
Any and all suggestions and recommendations are always most appreciated.
Have a look at some pictures.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Well 2N6254 transistors are in the TO-3 package but that is where the compatibility ends...

No they are not a suitable substitute at all.

Looks like P.O. used long fuses in the short fuseholders. Also used a wirewound resistor in the Zoebel net work which is not acceptable, too inductive for that purpose.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The roasted resistor on the right channel is probably an indicator of where to start looking for failed semiconductors.

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Or in more modern speak, MJ21195 and MJ21196.
As always you are correct noting the upgrade Joe

As it is now sitting they should have the mj15045/25 from the factory build. I believe He dose not know that he has a full complementary amp there

Michael F

Journeyman
Tagline
---
As always you are correct noting the upgrade Joe

As it is now sitting they should have the mj15045/25 from the factory build. I believe He dose not know that he has a full complementary amp there
OMG, this is a fully complimentary amp???How could you tell? FFS, No wonder it doesnt work! Wrong NPN output transistors, all the way around.
No point in testing, I`ll just toss them.
I downloaded a service manual and schematic from HiFi Engine but it`s quasi version. Can someone point me in the direction of the fully comp model.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
OMG, this is a fully complimentary amp???How could you tell? FFS, No wonder it doesnt work! Wrong NPN output transistors, all the way around.
No point in testing, I`ll just toss them.
I downloaded a service manual and schematic from HiFi Engine but it`s quasi version. Can someone point me in the direction of the fully comp model.
Send photo of both rows of transistors for one of the channels

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Somebody got a deal on 2N6254 transistors I guess. Not good, even in a PL400 application. Low voltage and very slow devices.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
These are all the same transistors. You got 2n6254s in both positive and negative rails. You will need an equal number PNP and NPN transistors per channel.

Joe has good price on MJ21195/96. Order 12 each with pads and some new power caps from him is my suggestion to get this puppy started.

Michael F

Journeyman
Tagline
---
These are all the same transistors. You got 2n6254s in both positive and negative rails. You will need an equal number PNP and NPN transistors per channel.

Joe has good price on MJ21195/96. Order 12 each with pads and some new power caps from him is my suggestion to get this puppy started.
I still have a bunch of new MJ21196 that were never used, I would only need the`95s.
The 2n6254s that were in there were mounted with a mica and some type of silicone pad with no thermal paste, should the new transistors be mounted the same way or with the more traditional mica/paste combination?