Variacs N Stuff

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Instead of clogging up and thread crapping (not that we don't love to do it) on the other guys, I thought I'd open a thread on the subject. I also found out where all the Variac's with amp/watt meters have gone or are going.... This guy has some expensive stuff but if you want an old school General Radio Variac, this would be the place to go. Lifetime warranty too.

I want 3 of these. one each in Red White and Blue

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-MADE-G...E-GUARANTEE-/112516407805?hash=item1a328021fd

Variac.jpg

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Instead of clogging up and thread crapping (not that we don't love to do it) on the other guys, I thought I'd open a thread on the subject. I also found out where all the Variac's with amp/watt meters have gone or are going.... This guy has some expensive stuff but if you want an old school General Radio Variac, this would be the place to go. Lifetime warranty too.

I want 3 of these. one each in Red White and Blue

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-MADE-G...E-GUARANTEE-/112516407805?hash=item1a328021fd

View attachment 38116
This dude is in love with Variacs...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The meters (Simpson AC and Watts) are getting hard to find. They came with the old style rounded corner bakelite meters and the new plastic fantastic ones.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
After Perry first posted about his two Variac’s I wanted one. I found this one locally for $200 Cnd or $140 USD

It has 2 amp and 10 amp settings. Now I watch the amp meter instead of the bulb on the DBT as I increase voltage. I still use the DBT just don’t focus on it much.

Attachments

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Don't take much to get you excited 'sniff......

(What the heck does a Variac do???)

It's a variable transformer. You bring up the voltage slowly and verify you have no shorts (excess current draws).

The term “variac” refers to a continuously variable auto-transformer. The main purpose of a variac is to apply ac voltage to a load in small steps. All variacs can adjust the output voltage from 0 Vac to match the voltage from the mains and beyond. This means that, if misused, a variac can damage the load. That is why variacs are mostly used in laboratories and shops where trained personnel operates them.