My great adventure starts tomorrow

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Time has gone so fast for us.

After getting shifted in our time clock (13.5hr time zone change)in the first day and getting our phone up and running It cost us about $15 each to get new SIM cards. Each has unlimited calling and 1.4gb data per day for a 84 day cycle. I only dream of such a deal.

We use WhatsApp and Facebook messenger to text call and live video with home. I Even FaceTime with may mom. All work excellent. I have an app called Fongo the I call forwarded all our cell and home phones to It works great. No issue with email or surfing the web.

Attachments

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Our first day out on the city was quite an experience. So we got hustled as soon as we left the hotel. Boy are skilled. The guy claimed to be just coming off shift from the hotel. He helped us to get to a store to look at some clothes. Yes took the bait line and sinker. Cost me about $100. So we quickly change how we operated. Got a little three wheeled rickshaw and when blindly around the town. Chaos was all around us. The clip of us driving was tame compared to most of the trip. It was controlled crazyness. Everyone was crossing and pushing We constantly would move within inches of others at about 20-30 miles per hour. Did not see one accident or break down. The guy would move from one lane to another in milliseconds. My wife thought she would die the time out.

So this lasted 6 hours going from one site to another. Cost $50 for the day including bug tip.

We had no idea of what to do but our driver new the drill we went to some incredible time laces. First up after seeing some clothing stores was the Lotus temple this is the most visited building in the world. It is quite a piece of architecture. Read up on it here
https://bahaipedia.org/Lotus_Temple
Then off to a 1500’s site of thumbs called Humayun’s mausoleum. We also went to the Gandhi museum All things I would never have done if I planned it.

The air was good and we did not have any problem.

Today our new daughter in law sister is take us shopping to buy Indian sari’s and Kurt’s for me. This will cost a bit but we are going with the flow. I got $1000 budget so we will see how I make out on this one.

Glen

Attachments

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Being as I am in the process of getting stuff boxed up to remove from the place I've lived in for 20 years, I really wish I started practicing APARIGRAHA a long time ago.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hi Glen
Glad to see you are enjoying your adventure so far, I have adventured much in China but never in India.

NavLinear

Hey Glen,

What an amazing adventure. India is one of the countries I've wanted to visit and I'm happy you're able to visit there with a memorable reason. Keep posting and a happy wedding to your son and his new wife.

Dennis

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
So time to get back to posting.
We had a very exciting day today going out and visiting with new family at their home. We were hosted to a very excellent Indian meal for lunch and then all went to do more shopping for the wedding.

Now yesterday was the wildest adventure either of us have ever experienced.

We were taken to Chandni Chowk . Or know as the Moonlight square.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandni_Chowk

This place is like out of some movie. First it is Huge like 50 acres. Second there are like a million people there. The area is one street after an other of small ancient shops. Narrow roads full of caos. People coming and going. Motorcycles and rickshaws plugged the narrow street. Overhead wires that dangled in you face. If we had gone on our own you probably would never have heard from me again.

We spent about 6 hours there. My sons new brother and sister in-law took us though the maze to select stores they new. We bought a lot things for the wedding for both Beth and I. There’s so many steps to these weddings here. 5 functions of formal traditional clothing changes. I have to say it was not threatening. It was a rush going there. I will sort out how to post video cause I can’t discride it you have see it to believe it.

I will attach some stills for now. Anyway this is place I may never ventured to on my own. And now I can say it should be on everyone’s bucket list.

Attachments

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
When I try to upload video from my phone I get an error message

The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension.

Any help to get the videos uploaded would be great

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I found this YouTube video. It is a must watch. It totally depicts our adventure. Please take the time and view it. If you like it they have a bunch more India food videos that give you a true look at the culture

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Did you find any ancient D-500s in the Moonlight Square Glen? :)
None to be found Joe.
The market is a wholesale center. They supply lots of small venders. It is also is the wedding supply center to most of northern India. There are hundreds of small shops selling sari’s and bridal gowns. We often had to go through single door on street the climbs level after level in some place each floor was a bee hive of people buying. Each floor had different quality stuff.

Here is the brides outfit

Attachments

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
No OSHA in India...
To say the least Lee. Here were bare wires in the street , like 10/0 if that size exist, just lying there. What are the chances of one of the low hanging wires are hot. As to fire regs forget it. If a fire broke out it should be not something to witness. This area we shopped in is centuries old. It has not police evident nor is there seam to be issues between people. It just chaos in harmony I guess

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Don't drink anything liquid!!!!!! Watch the food as most is prepared with suspect water. Street vendor food can be good but prepare for the shits

LMAO

Seriously though, congrats on a trip of a lifetime and congrats to your son

and hope your Mom has a quick recovery!!!

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Just got a text from Glen advising he has connectivity problems and can’t post to this site.

He advises that once able, he will update further on his Indian experiences.