New variac / load center

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I got a start on my new load center with the 30 amp variac.

On the control box the center switch will have bim bulb on at left #2 and capacitor discharge at both left and right #1 and full current at right #2.

Should handle two channels simultaneously to 1000 watts for testing. The resistors are hollow ceramic with very low inductance - 6 50 ohm 90 watt pieces per channel An othe two resistors are for capacitor discharge. Two fans will have thermal switch to turn on.

I need to sort out what to use as an insulator to mount the resistors to. I think I have some 1/4” celuron board. Maybe I need to find some bakolight

Attachments

Last edited:

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I got a start on my new load center with the 30 amp variac.

On the control box the center switch will have bim bulb on at left #2 and capacitor discharge at both left and right #1 and full current at right #2.

Should handle two channels simultaneously to 1000 watts for testing. The resistors are hollow ceramic with very low inductance - 6 50 ohm 90 watt pieces per channel An othe two resistors are for capacitor discharge. Two fans will have thermal switch to turn on.

I need to sort out what to use as an insulator to mount the resistors to. I think I have some 1/4” celuron board. Maybe I need to find some bakolight
With that thing you could upgrade your AC sockets. These are good for 30 maybe even 50 amp.

TIG welder AC.jpg