marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
AT 95 will do OK on that TT. My AT MLA 440 sounded real nice on my Duals, very forgiving and maybe a bit bright. I think discontinued though.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I know it's just looks, BUT...my CS-series Dual looked really good with an Ortofon OM-series cartridge on the ULM arm.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
AT 95 will do OK on that TT. My AT MLA 440 sounded real nice on my Duals, very forgiving and maybe a bit bright. I think discontinued though.
I like the AT 440, using it on my Pioneer linear tracker, and yes, it’s a tiny bit bright, not objectionable though.
The MLA has been supplanted by the MLX, don’t know if it’s much different from its predecessor.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
A few of the older Dual turntables used Shure V-15 III cartridges. I used one on my Dual 621.

Nando.

mlucitt

I had an opportunity to buy a Shure V-15 Type IV for a good price, so I put it on the only turntable I had at the time, a new Pioneer PL-112D manual. It sounded great through my Marantz 2285 (never should have sold that one...).
Anyway, I took it to the Breyer Sound Clinic in San Diego so they could measure the alignment, tracking, skate, etc. (I used the Pioneer weight adjustments to set the needle force to 1.5 Grams.) They actually laughed at me when I set the turntable down next to the Dual 1229, Garrard 401, Thorens TD124, and Rec-o-Kut turntables. Mostly because the cartridge cost twice as much as the turntable, un-thought of back in those days.
The technician could not believe I set the tracking to less than 2 Grams.
Anyway, they made a few slight adjustments and then they were blown away by the performance (actually beating some of the competition). I walked out smiling and they were still shaking their heads at the Sailorman with the sweet turntable.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Those classic Shure cartridges still outperform some of the mega-dollar cartridges currently being produced.

I used an NOS Yamaha MC-1 (moving coil) on a $ 15 Pioneer PL-7. I traded in the turntable, but kept the cartridge.

Nando.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Those classic Shure cartridges still outperform some of the mega-dollar cartridges currently being produced.
And now those classic Shures are selling for megabucks (for good reason...).
I had a V15/III on a borrowed Dual 1229Q when I built my first Heathkit receiver- absolutely stunning.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
O.K. guys , if I have understood well ,
Shure , AT and Ortofon are Ok for this TT.
Good choices could be :
-Ortofon OM 5E or OM5E super
-AT 95 ex or AT 120 eb ( AT 440 is too expansive )
-Shure M97 xe ( unfortunately Shure exits cart market last year )
Another choice could an old Shure V15 III with Jico needle .
Any thoughts ?
Thank you and ciao
Marco

MarkWComer

Tagline
O.K. guys , if I have understood well ,
Shure , AT and Ortofon are Ok for this TT.
Good choices could be :
-Ortofon OM 5E or OM5E super
-AT 95 ex or AT 120 eb ( AT 440 is too expansive )
-Shure M97 xe ( unfortunately Shure exits cart market last year )
Another choice could an old Shure V15 III with Jico needle .
Any thoughts ?
Thank you and ciao
Marco
Ortofon is nice, has a good smooth sound. I went for the Super OM 30. One particular thing I liked about the OM series is the variety of stylus points- all interchangeable. I have a lot of shellac 78s and a few old mono LPs, a quick change of the stylus point and adjustment of pressure and skating serves well for me, all with one single cart alignment. It’s mounted on my Dual 1229Q at the moment, nice performer.

I don’t know what prices you found for the V15, but the AT440 is nearly the same price in the ads I saw a few years back.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
I have quite a few cartridges. Both moving magnet and moving coil. Best performance vs price for my money is the 2M Blue. I have a 2M Black but find it kind of harsh. Be sure to pick up a couple extra of the proprietary cartridge adapters if you can find them. And do a little extra research on what cartridges will fit the adapter.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Thank you for your replies .
Shure V15 III ( body only ) and Shure M97ex ( NOS ) are now too expansive , since Shure now produces only mikes .
Ortofon OM 10 , 20 are discontinued and now there are only OM 5 and OM 5e .
AT 95 ex is the right choice . It's discontinued ( replaced by VM 95 series ) but the price is low ( 55 € ) on Amazon .
High mass carts ( MCs ) are not good for Dual arms . I have an Ortofon 2M Red ( fitted on Project Debut Carbon );
the sound is good but I would like to test an AT .
Anyway since I have bought the 1/2" adapter ( clone of Dual )
I will be able to fit all low mass cart .
Ciao
Marco

MarkWComer

Tagline
I wish ALL of the TT manufacturers adopted the SME headshell. Would have made things easier...