My 4 Fin 400 Grew 4 Fins

punchback

Journeyman
I had a little detour before powering up the 400 with the new WOA control board. While waiting for the exchange of the variac I fashioned extra cooling fins. I found 1 x 6 aluminum channel on they bay. After cutting off one edge I was left with the perfect size to become a pair of fins. I drilled and tapped some 10-32 holes in the back of the chassis. Ran some 3/4" screws through the holes to create some mounting Studs. I'll need to cut down the output transistor covers. It's got to be better than nothing.
DSC_0328.JPG DSC_0327.JPG DSC_0326.JPG DSC_0325.JPG DSC_0324.JPG DSC_0321.JPG

punchback

Journeyman
I'll probably end up doing that. I'm looking at doing some DIY anodizing in black. It looks relatively simple but I'm sure there's a little trial and error.

punchback

Journeyman
I'm sorry but I only bought 12" which was just enough to make 2 heatsinks. The item number on the bay is 202031500257. It cuts pretty easy with a table saw. When you cut it be prepared for aluminum chip to go everywhere. I did use one of my junkier saw blades.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
I'm sorry but I only bought 12" which was just enough to make 2 heatsinks. The item number on the bay is 202031500257. It cuts pretty easy with a table saw. When you cut it be prepared for aluminum chip to go everywhere.
No problem, sometimes you have to buy 6 feet in order to get 12". I try and see if I can get some. Thanks for looking up the Ebay number!

punchback

Journeyman
When you end up making the extra fins, I made a cardboard template of the chassis/heat-sink interface. It's easier to get the template to lay flat on the chassis first, then transfer the marks to the heat-sink. You have to cut two relief holes that you can see in one of the pictures.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Referring to heatsink grease, less is more. The grease replaces tiny air pockets, which are lousy heat conductors, on the surface of the heatsink. Who remembers the Brylcreem slogan?

1560634558366.jpeg

punchback

Journeyman
I probably ought to remove the fins and add some HS grease. I was wanting to try and anodize the HS black but who's going to see them and the grease would be an issue.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I probably ought to remove the fins and add some HS grease. I was wanting to try and anodize the HS black but who's going to see them and the grease would be an issue.
And you will lose heat transfer to the new fins because of the anodize layer.