Running 'Old Faithful' through the ATS-1 ...

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Received a used test tape today to verify independantly my levels & speed accuracy. Wasn't too concerned about speed as the beast is quartz locked and I replaced the belts a few years back. With that piece of mind, I confidently used the AP generator to make my own trial W&F tape on a Metal Master.

I'm pretty stoked and happy as a pig in s h ! t that I picked this test rig up. It's gonna come in handy and it's sure a lot of fun!

W&F came in right at spec for peak readings and the 2 sigma stables were a tad bit lower - for both IEC & NAB.

THD+N looks pretty darn good too although there is a difference between the left & right channels.
At 1kHz both channels dance around 1% with Dolby Off - again at spec.

I've often wondered how having Dolby engaged during tests like this would effect measurements - just as a curiosity.
Well on THD+N, Dolby B drops the measurement down about 0.1 % and Dolby C, another 0.1 %... on average.
Interesting...

Attachments

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
... and I guess using Audioquest cables with the 50 ohm BNC-to-RCAs is copacetic after all ...

IMG_20190423_AQ.jpg

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Do you have any rca female/female adapters where you could check your cabels?
Wouldn't checking the cables simply be a 'one at a time thing' across the ATS-1 in & out terminals? The BNC's I bought are all female RCA on the receiving end ...

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
One thing I did do when I was running through the THD+N stuff was to swap the A & B inputs to see if the level change was consistent... and it was.

On a deck of this age I suppose anything is possible for low-level noise & distortion differences between channels. Knowing how heads can have imperfect (unmatched) responses across each side, I'm not too concerned. I suppose the main board electronics or mechanical skew over the years could be the culprits too. Not going to get wrapped around the axle chasing reasons.

The deck still plays & records solidly...

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
By the way, I found a place in Canada that does generic reference tapes. Should have those in a week or so.
Less than 10 bux each was worth the try ...

Level :
- 315 Hz, 0 dB tone (IEC PRAGUE 1981 Spec)

Speed :
- 440 Hz A tone (for quick check with instrument tuner) (or MIDI note 69)
- 3150 Hz tone for setting speed with frequency counter and checking wow and flutter