The Tascam 42NB LIVES!!!!!

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Spent the last few days doing some disassembly, cleaning lubing and a small amount of adjusting. I have some things I need to do to the deck but all in all, it works great and sounds pretty good. I want to record a new album at 15ips here in the next week to see how good it can REALLY be. I have a new spare set of heads but I think these are in pretty good shape. Anyway, here is a couple shots of the beast. It cleaned up very nice and outside of some scuffed knobs (I don't have them on in these pics), it shows nice.

P

IMG_5316rs (2208 x 1656).jpg IMG_5317rs (2208 x 1656).jpg IMG_5318rs (2208 x 1656).jpg

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Obviously worthwhile checking SQ out @ 15 IPS. I would too if I had a deck that ran that fast but that only gets you 1 1/2 hours with a 3600 footer.

The R2R recordings I've made have all been mix tapes and sometimes 3 hours on 3600 feet @ 7.5 IPS goes quick. My thought would be in the long run, due to the cost of tape vs recording one album @15 IPS, I'd just listen to the LP.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
And your point is? I spend $20 for a case of beer, it's gone in no time, then have to spend another $20....

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Obviously worthwhile checking SQ out @ 15 IPS. I would too if I had a deck that ran that fast but that only gets you 1 1/2 hours with a 3600 footer.

The R2R recordings I've made have all been mix tapes and sometimes 3 hours on 3600 feet @ 7.5 IPS goes quick. My thought would be in the long run, due to the cost of tape vs recording one album @15 IPS, I'd just listen to the LP.
I resurrected a 30 year old deck, how bout that??? So what if it eats tape like a fat chick on pasta???

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Good work, Perry. I bet it will sound remarkable at top-speed recording. And what might excite you is when you record from CD - and better yet, SACD to tape. I've made some great recordings from SACD to NOS Maxell XL1 35-90B at 7.5 i.ps..

Nando.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Good work, Perry. I bet it will sound remarkable at top-speed recording. And what might excite you is when you record from CD - and better yet, SACD to tape. I've made some great recordings from SACD to NOS Maxell XL1 35-90B at 7.5 i.ps..

Nando.

Dang Nando, now I gotta buy a CD Player???? I think the only one I got is the Bose 321 system for my TV..... Hmmmmm

o_O

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
You can get an inexpensive player that does all the different audio formats such as SACD and DVD A.

Nando.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I suspect that would cause problems. That deck is in such demand these days that this and a Tascam 52 is asked for a lot in phone conversations I have- It is not like I am sitting on 40 of them. I do have a couple of them for my own collection along with 52 and 62.
Properly adjusted this deck should give you lots of quality- I have calibrated a good number of them and even one that went to 50KHz at 0 Vu with SM900 tape.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
The few pictures I looked at seemt to have too low a tension roller at the left. That needs to be closer to mid position as it could shut the deck off if it falls way down. Also show the back tension is not correct. You will need a Tentelometer for this. I have one behind me I have to check out.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I adjusted and got the left tension set to mid position. $500 for a tentelometer ain't happening. Isn't the back tension and the low roller tension to the left, one in the same?

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I got 7 of them here. They can be had from $39 on E bay depending on condition. The servo tension decks require that you have one. Position is no indication that the roller is in the right place. The Opto reference in a X2000R and X1000R are the things to do first then the tension adjustment. The 42 has some voltage setting from mechanical placement as well. With all the repair equipment you have on the bench I have to think that if you are going to do these correctly that you need to get a Tentelometer like all my trainees do. Sometimes you have to wait for a deal to come along. I am waiting for a $500 Audio Precision One plus but this might not be possible but I know of a guy who did get one that way.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
If I find a tentelometer for 39 bucks I'll do it. Otherwise when my other freshly restored 42 shows up, this one can go out for adjustments/calibration.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Also, I'm not going to be doing any more of these decks unless the right opportunity shows up. Between spotty parts availability, tool costs, and prices of the decks themselves, I'll stick to my AMPS and preamp. I don't like to resort to using used parts to repair stuff.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I got 7 of them here. They can be had from $39 on E bay depending on condition. The servo tension decks require that you have one. Position is no indication that the roller is in the right place. The Opto reference in a X2000R and X1000R are the things to do first then the tension adjustment. The 42 has some voltage setting from mechanical placement as well. With all the repair equipment you have on the bench I have to think that if you are going to do these correctly that you need to get a Tentelometer like all my trainees do. Sometimes you have to wait for a deal to come along. I am waiting for a $500 Audio Precision One plus but this might not be possible but I know of a guy who did get one that way.

Like this??? I'll have to look at the book and see what size they call for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tentel-tap...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649