New Member from northern Minnesota

stetter

Journeyman
Bought my PL400 in 1975, ordered it with the PL2000 pre amp. I bought a pair of Infinity Monitor IIa's to put out the sound. Duel 900 turn table (I think that is the number it is in storage), I ordered everything from I think it was called Precision HiFi out of Baltimore Maryland, have the receipt still somewhere but that company is no longer around. About a year after I bought the PL 400 one channel shut down. Had to bring it down to a Pl repair shop in Minneapolis, ( don't remember the name, have the receipt somewhere) Faint memory about known issues and factor bulletins repaired. never had any issues after that except meter lights not working. The PL2000's RCA out put jacks let loose about the time The Carver CT-7 came out ( don't remember the year, have the receipt somewhere) so replaced the PL2000 with the Carver CT-7. the system has been in used just about every day since 1975. My wife to this day always says she married me for my stereo and my great hair in that order. Still have the stereo not the long hair so she is still with me so I guess it really was the stereo. I went to school for Automation and electronic repair. I am retired now and realized I better start worry about my Pl400 old caps and anything that might need updating, and also worried the wife would probably head on down the road without the stereo. So I start looking on the trusty inter-web and discovered this forum and White Oak Audio and Watts Abundant. Great stuff, I missed the boat by not looking sooner. So soon the hatch cover comes off the PL400 and the money spending will start. looks like I have a lot of reading of old post to catch up on and then the question will start and then more questions and then .........

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
Welcome... Im just a dumb Hillbilly But..... What these guy can do for your PL stuff is mind blowing !!!!! You couldn't have found a better Forum !!

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Minnesota? I'm reminded of what Garrison Keillor said was the traditional Minnesota greeting:

"Oh...it's you."

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Anyway...welcome. BTW, don't look to me for PL help, as I don't own any PL gear. Laz is one of the oddballs here.

stetter

Journeyman
I live near Tower MN not to far from where the Minnesota state record cold was recorded (only -60) but it is a dry cold so feels good. I drove home from working a night shift with in a half hour of when the record was set and my tires flat spot from sitting all night never rounded back to normal. Made the 21 mile road home the roughest ride home ever. I am looking forward to reading the all informative posts filled with all your experiences with this antique stereo gear.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I live in NE Wyoming. Haven't been in -60 , the lowest I've worked in here was -42....

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Welcome to Phoenix. Do they still do any oval track snowmobile racing up there?

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I live near Tower MN not to far from where the Minnesota state record cold was recorded (only -60) but it is a dry cold so feels good. I drove home from working a night shift with in a half hour of when the record was set and my tires flat spot from sitting all night never rounded back to normal. Made the 21 mile road home the roughest ride home ever. I am looking forward to reading the all informative posts filled with all your experiences with this antique stereo gear.
I'm a little SW of the Cities and -20s are cold enough for me, and tell me about dry cold,,cold is cold:)

stetter

Journeyman
Yes cold is cold, just a play on the desert people who say it is dry heat so 110 above feels ok. I grew up in northern MN when the snow mobile was finally going faster than 10 miles an hour. My next door neighbor was an in-law to one of the Ski Doo snow machine company owners and started one of the early oval track racing circuits. We had one of the stops in my home town. Fun to watch but the speeds where nothing like the high flying racers now.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
I used to go to all of the races at Traverse City & the Soo Michigan. TC 250 & Soo 500. I think another big one was at Thief River Falls Mn.? This was in the seventies & early 80's. I like that way more than the snowcross. At the end they were racing ''Twin trackers'
Back then I had to get up early & put one of those Coleman catalytic heaters under my oil pan so the truck would start! Heh..Heh.