Nice Curbside

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
A house around the corner was foreclosed, and gobs of stuff were thrown into a rolloff. A smaller pile was at the curb. I stopped IN THE RAIN and extracted an IBM Selectric typewriter and a JVC CD player. I cleaned it up, and it functions 100%! It's an XL-F108, and JVC units from that era seem to have a good rep, though I really don't care for carousel players. Now I have two.

Attachments

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
A house around the corner was foreclosed, and gobs of stuff were thrown into a rolloff. A smaller pile was at the curb. I stopped IN THE RAIN and extracted an IBM Selectric typewriter and a JVC CD player. I cleaned it up, and it functions 100%! It's an XL-F108, and JVC units from that era seem to have a good rep, though I really don't care for carousel players. Now I have two.
That looks very close to the Sony I used to have ages ago. Does the Selectric have a serial port? They were great PC printers. I had a Smith-Corona that had a serial port, but these days printed paper letters aren't done unless it's necessary for legal records.

Not to be a creep, but in Baltimore if you were caught scavenging stuff from foreclosures and evictions you were charged with looting!

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I saw an actual TELETYPE machine at a thrift store (non-working, rotary) recently. Wicked awesome, exactly what I'd want if I wanted to block off another large portion of the living room (I got rid of the Yamaha organ when it broke).

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
That looks very close to the Sony I used to have ages ago. Does the Selectric have a serial port? They were great PC printers. I had a Smith-Corona that had a serial port, but these days printed paper letters aren't done unless it's necessary for legal records.

Not to be a creep, but in Baltimore if you were caught scavenging stuff from foreclosures and evictions you were charged with looting!
When the same thing happened across the street, several months ago, I did get some audio gear...and a 14K gold necklace. I call myself a "High-End Scrounger."