original pl700 question

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
square body cause I dint want a plastic 4x4
thanks
that seams really weird to me that they went for 2500 max to 960 max since the b/ii have more output devices I would think the mix power consumtion would stay the same or maybe go up a bit unless some thing in b/ii was not as power hungry and I just do not know about it

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The Series 1's, the B's and the II's had the same transformer except for the secondary 12 volt winding in the II's...

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Since they are all on my watch list I took a look. The 700 series one I let go today for $117.00 was marked 960 & the one linked here is marked 2500. The 2500 one is an earlier serial number.
Is it possible the lower rated transformers were a few pennies less expensive? I get the impression that Bob is a thrifty man from my research.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Hard to say why the different stickers, other than the sticker department was high.....there was no difference in the ratings...there were differences in wire, winding, terminations, etc, but the rating remained the same, regardless of what the stickers said...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
You can only get a max of 1800W out of a 5-15R wall receptacle with a 15A breaker feeding that receptacle so 2500W never made any sense at all.

UL requires de-rating to 80% of the 5-15R outlet and 5-15P plug which brings the 15A rating down to 12A. That pegs the max rating label wattage for anything plugging into such a receptacle to 1440W.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I wonder if that was about the time the government startd holding all the manufacturers feet to the fire about the way they rated power out and all that shit. The manufacturers used to stretch their ratings on everything and nobody used the same procedure for anything. It was chaos.....

HUH?

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
square body cause I dint want a plastic 4x4
Hard to say why the different stickers, other than the sticker department was high.....there was no difference in the ratings...there were differences in wire, winding, terminations, etc, but the rating remained the same, regardless of what the stickers said...
I think this is the answer to my question and it seams to match what I had read about the 400s also being mismarked/stickered with 1000 or 1500 watt ratings when they were just 750 high workers bad quality control

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I wonder if that was about the time the government startd holding all the manufacturers feet to the fire about the way they rated power out and all that shit. The manufacturers used to stretch their ratings on everything and nobody used the same procedure for anything. It was chaos.....

HUH?
It was about the time that Phase Linear was starting to learn about UL would be my guess Perry. 2.5KVA is rubbish. I have a Topaz 2.5KVA Ultra-Isolator and it is a foot square and weighs almost 100 pounds

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
What do you use it for Joe? My neighbor behind me is an electrician and probably has access to used ones of these. Is this just supposed used for main line current?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
What do you use it for Joe? My neighbor behind me is an electrician and probably has access to used ones of these. Is this just supposed used for main line current?
All my audio gear in my home theater setup is plugged into it. Upside: They are much better than the line filters that are offered and provide balanced 120V power to your equipment rather than unbalanced power that you get from the wall outlet. Downside: They are very heavy and large.

I got mine from a dentist office that they were remodeling. It was providing isolated power to dental equipment. These are often used for medical equipment.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
All my audio gear in my home theater setup is plugged into it. Upside: They are much better than the line filters that are offered and provide balanced 120V power to your equipment rather than unbalanced power that you get from the wall outlet. Downside: They are very heavy and large.

I got mine from a dentist office that they were remodeling. It was providing isolated power to dental equipment. These are often used for medical equipment.
So pretty much a power conditioner on steroids right? It would have no application as an amp tranny then?

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
I wonder if that was about the time the government started holding all the manufacturers feet to the fire about the way they rated power out and all that shit. The manufacturers used to stretch their ratings on everything and nobody used the same procedure for anything. It was chaos.....

HUH?
Ron,

Here is an interesting article related to the subject of industry standards:

The Bewildering Wilderness (Navigating the complicated and frustrating world of audio standards) by Dennis A. Bohn (former Phase Linear engineer)
Sound & Video Contractor Sept 2000 pgs 56, 58-64\

http://www.rane.com/pdf/bewilder.pdf

I have many more thoughts and opinions on the subject. However I don't have enough time now to write about it.

By the way, this all ties into the calibration procedure for Phase Linear amplifiers I am working on.

Ed

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
It was about the time that Phase Linear was starting to learn about UL would be my guess Perry. 2.5KVA is rubbish. I have a Topaz 2.5KVA Ultra-Isolator and it is a foot square and weighs almost 100 pounds
Joe,

I am just scratching the surface now on the UL stuff. I just ran into this article a few minutes ago and thought I would share it here.

AMPING UP: Figuring Power Requirements by Pat Quilter (QSC Audio)
Recording Engineer Producer magazine May 1991

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Recording-Engineer/90s/REP-1991-05.pdf
(article starts on page 40 of 88 in the pdf)

Ed