Personal Protection Device

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Looking for personal recommendations on a carry protection device for the wife.

She won't carry a firearm...
Afraid Mace will leak....
Probably nail herself with a taser....
Doesn't have the strength for Tiger Claws...

Strobes? Audible alarm?

So many unqualified reviews out there, looking for recommendations from my trusted brethren!

I live to close to Chicago...starting to reach the suburbs. Repair shop that my wife works at just repaired a windshield with a bullet hole from the next town. Latin Kings are rifling cars in neighborhood driveways (stupid suburbanites leave all their shit in the cars - good pickings). It's time to worry about safety.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Basically a mind control helmet.

Martial arts are cool but as always lead wins.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Doesn't leave much to work with there Dave.....brass knuckles??
Agreed! You don't bring a knife to a gunfight. I think she should get comfortable with firearms, either that or move. Chi-town's days are numbered anyway...thank you Obama and all the crazy liberal leftys in charge.

We used to joke about Cleveland being the mistake by the lake, Ha! I think Chicago will be the crater by the lake if things don't calm the F down up there.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
I can't even get her to come to the range with me...

Shes no dummy, she will never put herself in a critical situation (alone) but still want her to carry some deterent...anything using physical force is out. Not enough strength in her hands to open a bottle.

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
My wife and I had somewhat the same situation. The neighborhood we'd lived in for 25 years just deteriorated. It happened slowly and then all of a sudden we realized it was no longer a safe place. We had an alarm system, the best locks, a dog, and plenty of weapons and still didn't feel comfortable in our own home. We couldn't leave our cars out as they got broke into numerous times. Finally realized it was time to get the heck out of there. We bought a place in the country and haven't regretted it. Of course we're in debt up to our eyeballs, but fuck it....we're much safer here. We both have our carry permits and although she seldom carries, I do. I pray I'm never put in a situation where I have to use it, but I'm not going to stand by and become a victim either.

As far as putting herself in a critical situation, how do you know when that moment arrives? Do your best to make her realize there is nothing wrong with protecting herself or others. The world's not the same as it was 20, 30, 40 years ago. There's not even enough police to protect us. There's a storm coming and it's going to be bad.

Last edited:

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
This obviously isn't the best suggestion but I keep hearing it's very effective.....

Hornet and Wasp Spray

Buy it cheap at the hardware store for $5 to $7 per can. Cheap enough to actually practice with. it doesn't really fit in a purse but......

From what I hear, it's effective on people and animals, no permit needed, doesn't raise all sorts of alarm bells, good 20 to 30 foot range. AND.... you can use it to kill hornets and wasps! I've heard that you can kill some small animals with this stuff. Definitely not something you want shot in your eyes/face.

When my brother was driving a truck he kept a can in the drink holder. A cop asked him about it one time and his reply was, "I'm allergic to bees." I keep several cans scattered around.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Hey man. considering the limitations of your wife's strength and the constraints on weapons, a solid mobile phone and personal safety noise maker device + careful choosing of where and when to go certain places seems to be about all you can really do ... other than leaving that war zone.

Strobes? Audible alarm?

So many unqualified reviews out there, looking for recommendations from my trusted brethren!

I live to close to Chicago...starting to reach the suburbs. Repair shop that my wife works at just repaired a windshield with a bullet hole from the next town. Latin Kings are rifling cars in neighborhood driveways (stupid suburbanites leave all their shit in the cars - good pickings). It's time to worry about safety.

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Maybe the large guns your showing her are just too intimidating for her to handle. I suggest a 22LR like a S&W Model 317. Low recoil and noise, light to carry and with a trigger job it can be light to fire. Add a laser grip like a Crimson Trace and it's easy to use too. If not, grab the mace.

Last edited:

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
Maybe the large guns your showing her are just too intimidating for her to handle. I suggest a 22LR like a S&W Model 317. Low recoil and noise, light to carry and with a trigger job it can be light to fire. Add a laser grip like a Crimson Trace and it's easy to use too. If not, grab the mace.
One of my nieces has this exact issue. She's a small woman and she carries a Walther P22. She's shot them all but the 22 is less intimidating for her. You should also know that she's an Iraq war vet and lived in the "sandbox" for year. Hardcore for a woman, as she had to carry her M4 whenever she was outside.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Dude.
The wife noticed this ad-on-a-vehicle in the Lowes parking lot today and I immediately thought of you & the better half.
Maybe there is something like this in your neck of the woods.
And who knows ... maybe a stun gun would be a good option.

:wink:

20170812_150641.jpg

Strobes? Audible alarm?

Tagline
---
At first I was thinking rather facetiously she should have flash bang grenades...

Then it occurred to me:

A tactical flashlight - the type (weaponized) that can blind, light cigarettes etc... IN DAYLIGHT.

Usually on the end of a firearm for good seeing, but used correctly can take the starch out of an assailant - nothing like losing your sight to confuse an assailant.

Last edited:

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
I was going to suggest the freon horn but I see I'm late with that. Then I'm not so sure the meth heads might not ENJOY it!
If you do push for a gun, I'd go with a revolver. I've got guns out the wing wang & shoot often. But in a panic situation ( especially if startled up at night) I feel more confident with a wheel gun than my trusty Para Commander 1911. try a 8 or 9 shot .22 revolver.
I've seen some pocket size blue lasers that could do some damage. But again, doped up gang bangers with nothing to loose?
Sorry, but sometimes you really need to just kill them.

Back in the early seventies I was working as an office manager for a large floor covering store up at Traverse City. I made extra money by driving a truck down after work & picking up carpet & padding around Chicago.
The padding plant was on South Pershing Ave. I'll tell you what.......That area was scary as hell back then! The manager stayed in a secure little cubicle in the center of the shop floor & did everything through a little window slot like the drive in liquor stores!
The carpet warehouses were all over by DesPlains. Not so bad. I always stayed at the Ohare Holiday inn. Fun lounge!

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
My wife works out of the house thankfully.....but being gone so much I tried to talk her into
to learning to shoot. She is scared to death of guns. The kids fight to go with me to range....her no so much. I taught her how to use this instead.

Attachments

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
I'm not worried if she has the dog with her Kevin. No one can approce the car if he's in it with her, myself included.

Probably gonna go with a blinding tactical light with audible. I'll check that site Tony.

Tried to get her to rack my gun by holding the slide and pushing the frame forward....almost there but not quite. CC is definitely out of the question. I'll be content when I get mine.

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I'm not worried if she has the dog with her Kevin. No one can approce the car if he's in it with her, myself included.

Probably gonna go with a blinding tactical light with audible. I'll check that site Tony.

Tried to get her to rack my gun by holding the slide and pushing the frame forward....almost there but not quite. CC is definitely out of the question. I'll be content when I get mine.
I just bought a Ruger MK 4......that is back at the factory getting recall work done. I have a Leupold holographic sight for it sitting on desk. My daughter is gonna try to get my wife convinced into trying it once......I feel for you.....my wife is incredibly gunshy as well.