Shock And Awe: The Story of Electricity

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I once owned a book about American rural electrification, titled "The Second Best Thing." The title was taken from a statement made by a rural fellow who had gotten electricity in his home. He said: "The best thing is to have the love of God in your heart. The second best thing is to have electricity in your home."

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
We have scum and villainy afoot. Feed them to the sharks!

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
The past few years I've been fascinated by the 'Dawn of Electricity' I buy a lot of magazines off Ebay from around 1915 - 1930. Just about any type mag has cool articles regarding 'RADIO" Most all of the first civilian radios were cobbled together at home with parts & kits. No insulated or stranded wires yet. The point to point 'wiring' was with solid rigid bare 'buss' wire. No loudspeakers yet. Just earphones. For rural folks it was the first time they ever heard concert music or a ballgame. Batteries were cool too. You needed 3 different voltages for the filaments, heaters & operating current. At first banks of glass jar cells. you only turned it on for maybe one hour a day.
Some of my early tube gear:

Attachments

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Are you sure yer not getting bigger?
Cystoscope with TAZER up the weenie every 90 days for the past four years..............Nope...........not getting any bigger.:laughing5::laughing5::laughing5:

EDIT: Notice how I brought this back to the ' Story of electricity'?

Last edited: