Are 45's worth anything??

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
jANI FOUND HERE STASH OF 45'S, From Elvis Presley to the beatles to Led Zeppelin...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
It's my understanding that LZ stopped putting out singles and concentrated on album plays and sales. Do you have a radio station copy (WLP white label promo)?

It also depends how scarce they could be, the source/label, the title...you can look this up.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Probably only to Jani. I like 45's and still have all those I bought mostly from the 1960's.

So mine are older. I play them from from time to time they make me remember being blown away by a particular song, then buying the 45 as soon as I had the $1. The good ol' fashioned record store with a transcription turntable installed in the counter (staff use only) who would play the copy you had in your hand before you paid for it. Woodwards Department Store's $1.49 Tuesday sales - two 45's - a buck and half - got a lot of Beatles and Beach Boys. And Woolco who when they opened, sold 45's for 79 cents each all the time but their selection sucked. The two rock radio stations each publishing a top 50 list every week. Buying R&B 45's, taking them to parties and dancing with girls. Getting drunk and trying to get girls to dance with me to the R&B 45's I brought. There's some righteous adolescent and teenage nostalgia associated with 45's remembering what was going through my head the first time I heard a song then actually having it.

It's still cool to stack a pile on a changer then listen and watch. So far, I've made two mix tapes on 7" R2R from the 45's I have and no R&B - well not much anyway.

Maybe Jani's would interest someone with a jukebox that needs stuffing? Still, I have to imagine that they hold memories for her.

Last edited:

62vauxhall

Tagline
My mother had records like that. Transparent green, red and blue that she kept in separate albums. Color might have been genre. I remember green Sons of the Pioneers records. blue Student Prince records and red....something - crooners maybe?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Some really all over the place stuff----Jan and Dean, Beach Boys, Kingston Trio, Dee Dee Warwick, Dione Warwick etc, just all over the place...

62vauxhall

Tagline
Some really all over the place stuff----Jan and Dean, Beach Boys, Kingston Trio, Dee Dee Warwick, Dione Warwick etc, just all over the place...
I think you mean Dee Dee Sharp. I played "Ride" A LOT!!

Clean 'em - play 'em.

Last edited:

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
45's are very HOT right now! With sleeves some are outta sight. If you are planning on selling, I would do some research on each title. I have a magazine somewhere in the man cave with info from a serious collector of over 500,000 45's, I'll look for it, it has his contact info. Then there is always the Steve Hoffman forums as well.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
45's are very HOT right now! With sleeves some are outta sight. If you are planning on selling, I would do some research on each title. I have a magazine somewhere in the man cave with info from a serious collector of over 500,000 45's, I'll look for it, it has his contact info. Then there is always the Steve Hoffman forums as well.
Craig, very few 45s are worth anything. Stones and Beatles picture sleeves depending on titles are worth a few bucks but nothing outrageous with a few exceptions. I gave someone all my Elvis ones here in a bundle. The only 45s really worth a lot are obscure psyche, some soul and of course private label local band hard rock and metal. Zeppelin WLP's can be pricey if they come with picture sleeves. I have a lot of Zeppelin promo stuff, have to dig some out, I even have several of the mono WLP albums

A lot of country 45s were released on colored/transparent vinyl

Lastly, if you see heavy wear on the labels, that is usually an indication that they are played to death and will sound like shit. I have a couple cases full of mint shit, I doubt there is anything super valuable except for a few of them

It's a very narrow market out there and usually it's 60+ year old dudes that are into them still

Here's one I have out in the garage unopened, cool but not that valuable. When Ed was here, he saw a bunch of old WLP and other original release Beatles shit just hanging on the wall in the garage. They look cool but that's about it

Just play and enjoy them... I broke out Led Zeppelin's Hey Hey What Can I Do/Immigrant Song red label Atlantic for Deb the other day, she enjoyed it!

Last edited:

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
There was a local guy that ran a vending company, mostly jukebox stuff in bars. He had a room full of 45s from the 50s to the 80s. He planned on retiring by selling them for big dollars, no idea how it worked out.

I have a stack of 45s myself from when I had a jukebox, someday I will have another one.