Succumbed to urge for a different CD player

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
There are more used thrift store CD's to pick from these days than vinyl so I've gotten quite a few lately. Mostly releases only 10 years old so new stuff really and unavailable on vinyl anyway. My main CD player since it was new in 1992 or thereabouts is a 1 bit Harman Kardon HD7600 that retailed for $600 or $700. I always went back to it after dabbling with Philips/Magnavox and NAD. It's a nice player, heavy and good features.

I got it in my head a few months ago that I wanted a silver one so scanned CL and CAM ads fairly regularly. A few days ago, there was A CL ad for a Rega Planet 2000. The price seemed to be on the money $350, so after some research, telling myself don't be foolish (you don't need it) I e-mailed the seller who said he'd take $300 so I bit. As much as I like the HK, it took about 10 seconds of simultaneously playing 2 copies of AC/DC Stiff Upper Lip for me to know the Rega was superior sounding.

The remote it came with looks like it's all inclusive for a Rega system but apparently that's what CD players came with. I like the oddness of the top loading clam shell but that means it gets it's own shelf - no sharing so I can't put another component under it. Probably won't matter much, what was there was the HK player and a Magnavox.

IMG_3163.jpg IMG_3164.jpg

Dazen1

Good choice.

The styling is an acquired taste but these Rega players are pretty decent. Not keen on top-loaders but I do like the red display. :)

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I like that the red display can be turned off only showing the 'on' lamp (on my Planet). I have mine being held up by the tuner as a slim unit will fit, check the fully open lip for clearance. Nice sounding unit and the newer ones should be better.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Nice choice Gary! Does it have digital outs for a DAC upgrade if needed? That transport is wicked bad ass looking, I love it!

I think digital has reached it's zenith at this stage of the game...sure, you can squeeze a bit more rez from the format, a bit more soundstage and true to the original master recordings sound. I Love Analog 1st and foremost though.

62vauxhall

Tagline
I read a couple of posts on various forums that if fed a CD with substandard recording quality, these Rega Planet 2000's really let you know it and I can vouch that that is true. I listened to quite a number of CD's over the past few days while recording a 10" reel tape of all female vocalists. A couple of discs I have are promo mixed CD's made for my alma mater a&b Sound. Some tracks on those sounded horrible enough that I thought something was wrong with the electronics or cables. I did not think deficiencies in the recorded material would be so in your face obvious.

EDIT: re the digital output - yes there is one but I do not foresee using an outboard DAC. Since the Rega company avoided the format for some years, my inclination is to experience the objective they intended to achieve. It might be marketing strategy but the explanation of their delayed entry into digital playback was dissatisfaction with the format, kind of intrigued me.

I was enamoured enough with the Rega's sound for me to want to box up and sell the HK. But since I did/do feel it is a good player in it's own right, I shall hang onto it and compare the two again in a few months.

Last edited:

Dazen1

I read a couple of posts on various forums that if fed a CD with substandard recording quality, these Rega Planet 2000's really let you know it and I can vouch that that is true.

EDIT: re the digital output - yes there is one but I do not foresee using an outboard DAC.
When you move up the food chain, these things happen. On the plus side, your best recordings should sound even sweeter.

If you should ever start thinking about a DAC in the future, consider a non-oversampling one.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I came up with a Pioneer PD-M403 six disc cartridge changer today but it's for a friend and free to him, was $10 for me. Came with two carts, I'm looking for the spare I had to bring I over to him with his speakers tomorrow.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Short lived like affair

Seems this Rega CD player took a nose dive. Worked fine last night but tonight, nothing. Or nearly nothing. Discs seem to be tracking properly according to the counter but there's very little output. The low level sound it is producing is hugely distorted (noise really) and causes the three rows of LED's on my 3BX to be lit steadily in a 45 degree forward slash.

Not sure what to do about it but glad I did not yet dispose of the HK player.

stuwee

Damn that really sucks buddy, maybe message Master Tasuke, John, he knows his way around CD players and might be able to help.

I doubt it's the laser if you are hearing distortion, maybe some caps going south? Try unplugging it for a few days, then put it back in the system, see what happens. Good Luck!!

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Gary: Sorry to hear the Rega is having a fit. I was about to congratulate you on your newest purchase. It's a bit of a dilemma, because after finding out how well it sounded, I would be apt to getting it repaired.

Nando.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Yeah, it's a bummer. I will look inside for something obvious but not optimistic. A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) a Luxman integrated calved on me in much the same way. Was playing fine when turned off but nada sound after turning on again a short while later. Had it fixed and was told the culprit was a small resistor had burned.

Sure takes the fun out of buying used CD's like a mad fool. God I got a lot in the last few weeks.

Should have gotten the car tires instead. Had to sell a couple of "heirlooms" to buy those. Paying for a repair is not possible for the time being so I hope it's something I can take care of myself. Since the Pattullo bridge got fixed, there is no work on Sunday's which means $600 per month I won't be earning.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I hope it as easy as that, Gary, and the CDP comes back to life. It's tough to make a living from other people's misfortunes. You sound like the Grim Reaper. Time for some Blue Oyster Cult, perhaps?

Nando.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Update - WTF ?????

I just got home tonight and thought I'd start trouble shooting by jiggling the cables at the back. I stick in a disc and the damned thing plays! Last night I tried two different discs and it was a no go so I immediately thought I'd try those discs again and they play no problem. Now I'm wondering if this was a one time glitch or yet another intermittent problem that will crop up from time to time.

Has anyone else experienced any weird behavior from CD players?

stuwee

I just got home tonight and thought I'd start trouble shooting by jiggling the cables at the back. I stick in a disc and the damned thing plays! Last night I tried two different discs and it was a no go so I immediately thought I'd try those discs again and they play no problem. Now I'm wondering if this was a one time glitch or yet another intermittent problem that will crop up from time to time.

Has anyone else experienced any weird behavior from CD players?
Yep, that's why I said unplug it for a few days, then plug and try again. This can work with CDP's more than other electronics because of all the things that need to be reset in them. You may still have an issue somewhere tho...