Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
BTW I found the 7800's cabling.

orange

Tagline
I have an idea...I found that Linux Mint 13 Maya is an LTS (long term support) OS into 2017.

I'm going to enable the SATA and try it. I'll need drivers possibly/probably but I should know fairly quickly what the deal will be.

orange

Tagline
Mint 13 is running offline...seems to be fine, now to add the other drives and see if I can get at least one IDE up, and preferably the 320 GB Maxtor and then to get online.

I don't see yet where there's an update option in the menus...

orange

Tagline
I need to replace the top fan as it was not really doing anything but lighting blue, but the 320 GB Maxtor is running and the backup media files that are on it run wherever they have a program or drivers to function...I'm going to try and add the other 100 GB Maxtor and then figure out what to do.

I need to get it online at some point though and them connect it via a router and Ethernet Cat 5 line to the bedroom Laz sent and I need to run it though the conduit between the bedrooms. That SSL issue needs to be resolved too and then on my Firefox or a new version is needed.

I also need to finish installing the drives and close it up to put it in place in the projector cabinet with the video players.

But it's 3 AM...yawn

orange

Tagline
Got it!

OKAY! I stuck with it and I now have an 80 GB SATA with Mint 13 Maya Date 32 it boots to, no primary IDEs, DVD on Secondary Master and 100 GB Maxtor on Slave, for a total of close to 500 GB storage! I know the 100 GB drive works but it had a minimum of system files and I copied an MP3 to it, which played just fine and I moved it around between folders. That's all for now, I HAVE to sleep. I'll work on wrapping it up later.

orange

Tagline
Another damned lost monitor... knocked the computer over too and now I'm not sure if I have working there either....:pottytrain5:

orange

Tagline
This was that tripod 15" you sent and WHAT HALLWAYS? There aren't any. I had it in the bathroom on the laundry machines so that it wasn't gumming up the works while working on clearing and cleaning the lining room and rest of the house. I would have the shed rearranged and more stuff put away but for the weather being wet and foggy.

They all seem to break in about the same way too...looks much like the widescreen. Can't read the BIOS screen to see if the drives all took if the left side is smashed.

I'm beginning to miss CRTs. THEY don't move a lot.

orange

Tagline
Not really anymore, and the main problem is that they are so light weight and tipsy. Like an starving drunk.

Then I should not work at NIGHT. If I can just find a few more VGA cables and that adapter you sent once maybe the KVM switch might help.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Mount a brick or a metal plate under the stands so they don't tip if bumped. Unless the drives were actually spinning they should probably survive the fall.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Oh man this thread just took a noob turn. How at this point do you even knock a monitor over. Especially to the point that it breaks.

I usually keep my rig on a desk and the case on the floor beside it. Never had a monitor get knocked or broken. Not to mention the case. Maybe finding an appropriate place for such things would save you some hassle. Or hell, if you really need to the comp while on the crapper, get a lappy.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Not really anymore, and the main problem is that they are so light weight and tipsy. Like an starving drunk.

Then I should not work at NIGHT. If I can just find a few more VGA cables and that adapter you sent once maybe the KVM switch might help.
Or narrow your computers down to one or two that are safely on top of a desk or large table. Unfortunately I don't have anymore guinea pig monitors around here. :toothy5:

orange

Tagline
Noob HELL...as long as you've gotten your appendage back into the fray, you were the one that sent FIVE CANADIAN DOLLAR COINS instead of a money order or something for me to send two TDK SA-X to Ron and you took forever...I'm lucky someone bought them for $5 to collect.

FYI the damned widescreen WAS on my desk when it fell and my brother in law helped me fix that stupid desk after that. I can't have EVERYTHING on top of a 4' x 5' desk with a 1 1/2' x 5' top deck? Do you understand the spatial premium I have in a small house?

MVC-117S.JPG

orange

Tagline
moving along...the computer was on it's side and the monitor in question has two feet and a third adjustable arm in the back.

I had to set it on the DRYER next the to washer and there is about two feet between them (as in why bang against the dryer in spin)?

Weight wasn't going to help a lot as I had a narrow space to set the monitor down, which would have worked better with a regular base.

Cornea brand monitor side diagram.jpg

Last edited:

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Noob HELL...as long as you've gotten your appendage back into the fray, you were the one that sent FIVE CANADIAN DOLLAR COINS instead of a money order or something for me to send two TDK SA-X to Ron and you took forever...I'm lucky someone bought them for $5 to collect.

FYI the damned widescreen WAS on my desk when it fell and my brother in law helped me fix that stupid desk after that. I can't have EVERYTHING on top of a 4' x 5' desk with a 1 1/2' x 5' top deck? Do you understand the spatial premium I have in a small house?

View attachment 18529
It costs more than the 5 dollars to buy a money order Steven....If you had paypal, like everyone else I wouldnt have sent you cash. Last time I sent a cheque you whined about that for 3 weeks. You can put your soap box away Steven. Next time I'll be sure to deal with someone else, as I had other offers for those and it would have saved your belly aching about the 5 bucks....christ.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I did point out before that a postal money order or bank draft in Canada cost us more than $6. I would have sent cash, too. I recently did that for a small sum in B. Pounds to a member in the U.K..

Nando.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Everyone Mellow out. :happy3: Sorry about your monitors Steven but if you set them up where they could accidentally fall then there is one one person to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.