WHAT HAS WHITE OAK DONE NOW??????????????

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yes, while we are a reasonable 'user' there were many big companies scrambling after that bombshell hit that still had them in their legacy designs. It would not surprise me to see some company spring up with the masks from ST and reentering the market. But that is 'so 2014' for us right now. :)

My big relief is the 1304, 1305 no longer being needed.....my stash was shrinking....I only have a couple hundred of each left...

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I would like to stay with the curve and keep Silvara up to date! You never cease to amaze me with your dedication to these WOPL's Joe!

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
hey Lee, have you verified that the residual noise you are measuring isn't some supersonic trash that isn't audible? With bandwidth that wide, it could be making noise where only your dog might know it. The gear would measure it but your ears will not. Just a thought.

So anyway, whats the chances that one of these badass boards will work with stock NEC 2SB600 / 2SD555 output devices ?

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Oh, It'll work with em, but why would you want them too?? There are sooooo much better out there.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
hey Lee, have you verified that the residual noise you are measuring isn't some supersonic trash that isn't audible? With bandwidth that wide, it could be making noise where only your dog might know it. The gear would measure it but your ears will not. Just a thought.

So anyway, whats the chances that one of these badass boards will work with stock NEC 2SB600 / 2SD555 output devices ?

Yeah I have gadget....no hi freq weird stuff going on....it's not the amp.....

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Oh, It'll work with em, but why would you want them too?? There are sooooo much better out there.
because I'm cheap, and the set in the amp are still fine. Keep in mind I use like 10 watts of power. I'm just not thrilled with how that thing sounds in stock form. I'm sitting here with a 30wpc tube amp that needs a restoration and it has vastly better bass response and sounds worlds better than the PL 700 does.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Sir Joe......if you have SNR of 101db at 200 watts in a 400, and given the same noise floor in a 700, what would the SNR be and how do you figure that?

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Sir Joe......if you have SNR of 101db at 200 watts in a 400, and given the same noise floor in a 700, what would the SNR be and how do you figure that?
It would seem to me on the face of it that it would the same S/N ratio but at a higher power output???

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
you could extrapolate it based on power level. Double the power would be another 3 db down, assuming all else is equal and it doesn't bring the noise floor up with a different amp config or with more power.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
So- just as I'm counting the cost of the backplane and full comp transistors, the game changes! I'll have to replace some of the components on my REV D board to handle the FC upgrade, looks like I may hawk the board on ebay and get the REV E kit instead...

The pursuit of excellence is a never ending quest, and it gets damned expensive!

Are REV E boards still in beta or is it in production yet? (Not on the WOA e-store yet)

Are the MJ21195G transistors the best choice for FC application? (Mouser sez 41 in stock, 600 on order/ 20 week factory lead time)

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
So- just as I'm counting the cost of the backplane and full comp transistors, the game changes! I'll have to replace some of the components on my REV D board to handle the FC upgrade, looks like I may hawk the board on ebay and get the REV E kit instead...

The pursuit of excellence is a never ending quest, and it gets damned expensive!

Are REV E boards still in beta or is it in production yet? (Not on the WOA e-store yet)

Are the MJ21195G transistors the best choice for FC application? (Mouser sez 41 in stock, 600 on order/ 20 week factory lead time)
RevD and E are exactly interchangeable and both fully support FULL COMP mode Mark.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
104.1dB, similar results seen on the RevD and E board on the PL700B. We have attained that figure and more on a properly wired 700B with the RevD card in it.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

Not in production yet Mark.

MJ21195/96 complements are the best devices that are left on the planet these days. And they are very good indeed.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The fact that Mouser only ordered 600 is rather disconcerting
. Sure it wasn't 6,000 Mark? I order 200 at a time myself...