Ortofon OM10 from Northwinds

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Thanks Mark, glad you had a use for it. I still have another here is someone needs it

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
That was my resident cart on my Thorens TD 160 Super/SME 3009 SE2 Improved for quite some time. Did a great job, struggled on some inner grooves but overall a great cart for the price!

Northwinds

Tagline
Why did it struggle on inner grooves Derek. When I set it up with a protractor, I had no issues with it. In fact, never had an issue with any Ortofon cart after setup

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Why did it struggle on inner grooves Derek. When I set it up with a protractor, I had no issues with it. In fact, never had an issue with any Ortofon cart after setup
Indeed Ron, I have never had a problem with any of my Ortofon's. That said, I have an OM20 and its my least favorite cart of all.

derek92994

Tagline
I aligned mine correctly too, but some records were worse than others. Nothing terribly bad but I'm very picky with tracking quality. When I got the AT440MLa cartridge, it was like night and day (the inner groove tracking), as it uses a microline stylus vs an elliptical type on the OM10.

derek92994

Tagline

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Sssssome albums just have more sibilance too. Check out the Seger album with Sssssun Sssspot baby on it....

derek92994

Tagline
Sssssome albums just have more sibilance too. Check out the Seger album with Sssssun Sssspot baby on it....
Yes but an improvement in stylus/cartridge can reduce that by quite a bit.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I have an Astatic Shibata, 2M Blue, 2M Red, Pickering NP/AC, Shure M44-7, OM20, and a couple others....Some albums cant be corrected for.

derek92994

Tagline
I have an Astatic Shibata, 2M Blue, 2M Red, Pickering NP/AC, Shure M44-7, OM20, and a couple others....Some albums cant be corrected for.
No doubt about that, I see where you are coming from.

derek92994

Tagline
If you listen to those two videos I posted, there is a huge difference. Yes sibilance is still there even on the 440 but its significantly improved and much more tolerable.

Northwinds

Tagline
The hardest album I own to track correctly is Y&T's Mean Streak. You get a lot of the sssss but I attributed it to the hot mastering initially. My Shure V15 type IV w/ Jico SAS plays it the best. I have Ortofon MM100 and MC100 that do it well also but they are now stored for another TT for the future. Maybe a Music Hall I have my eye on. Never tried the OM10 with that album though

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Derek, I think the record is actually mixed that way with REVERB.

Here is the 12" remix (Jellybean Benitez?!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=042vxTvLoE8

I heard the two clips without any problems, Sony is all screwed up anyway/

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
I just pulled out my Y&T cd and the tracks are like that on the disc so it is the mastering. Deb bought me the CD years ago and I never opened it. Now I see my initial suspicions are confirmed

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I agree. That song made it onto one of my mix tapes from my original pressing of that album. I had to tame the sibilance with some deft eq control before committing it to tape.

Nando.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Anybody with tracking problems, especially inner groove problems needs to try a good linear-tracker. [Takes off armor and dons asbestos "Hot Papa" suit.]

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Laz: You just waded into the linear-tracking vs conventional turntable topic. Which Sony do you have?

Nando.