New Toy: BGW 750 B ...playing now!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Hey, that was my ad! I absolutely love those amps. They still sound good today. If you find the fan noisy, replace it if it`s original as the bearings are probably worn. I placed a 300r resistor in series with the fan which further reduced noise but that may not be an option for you living PR.
BTW, where in PR are you located? Looks like you have a nice v.3 there El Magnifico, enjoy it.

And why don't you have that amp any more Michael??

Tagline
---
Then there is something wrong with the Spec. Echowars has some recommended changes to the Spec that take it up another level. I did all 3 of mine and wouldn't trade em for the world now.
Well, I wouldn't trade mine's either but these are 2 very diferent beasts from 2 different era. I like both!

Michael F

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Sure! These cabinets are completely open at the back, the black grille on top is for proper ventilation + this amp uses a fan.
Those amps are set up so that they intake from the rear and exhaust through the vents on the left and right topside.
It seems the exhaust would be a little constricted in that rack.
I`m currently working on a 750B (see link) and installed a new fan in reverse fashion.
http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/showthread.php/4946-Look-what-followed-me-home

Tagline
---
Those amps are set up so that they intake from the rear and exhaust through the vents on the left and right topside.
I`m currently working on a 750B (see link) and installed a new fan in reverse fashion.
That's a good idea, Mike. I'll be checking that out. Anyway, still about an inch of space all aroud the amp. It was playing today for 4 hours at a hefty volume and remained cold. I did it on purpose. I'll follow your suggestion though!

Thanks!

Tagline
---
Wow! Mike. What can I say? Excellent job. Now I'm tempted to do the paint thing too. How did you mask all the lettering? Any paint in specific? My fan is noisy. Perhaps I should replace it and install it as you said.

Very nice!

Michael F

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Wow! Mike. What can I say? Excellent job. Now I'm tempted to do the paint thing too. How did you mask all the lettering? Any paint in specific? My fan is noisy. Perhaps I should replace it and install it as you said.

Very nice!

Panel removal and disassembly was key (and a huge PITA) in this case. Galvanic corrosion had set in between the panel and hex fasteners so a few drops of PB Blaster were needed to break them free. The knob had to go too because the set screw was cross threaded so it and the pot were unsalvageable. Once removed, it soaked in warm de-mineralized water for a bit. It`s then wiped down along the “grain†with a Magic Eraser, a brilliant invention btw. Depending on the severity of the contamination, adding some dish soap or Simple Green to the process might be necessary but I wouldn't go with any thing stronger without running the risk of removing the silk screening. The Lexan meter window was removed and received the same treatment but was also polished with an automotive clearcoat scratch and swirl remover. Once clean of dirt, panel scratches were masked by a permanent marker and wiped down with 99% isopropyl alcohol which diluted and feathered the ink to only where it was needed. The handles and panel flat head bolts were sanded and painted with Krylon Satin Black.

If you find the fan noisy, just replace it. I added a second 300r/15W in series with the fan to the already factory installed resistor which further reduced noise.
But keep in mind that if you install the second resistor, your maximum fan speed will be were it`s presently at when the thermal switches engage.

Tagline
---
Panel removal and disassembly was key (and a huge PITA) in this case. Galvanic corrosion had set in between the panel and hex fasteners so a few drops of PB Blaster were needed to break them free. The knob had to go too because the set screw was cross threaded so it and the pot were unsalvageable. Once removed, it soaked in warm de-mineralized water for a bit. It`s then wiped down along the “grain†with a Magic Eraser, a brilliant invention btw. Depending on the severity of the contamination, adding some dish soap or Simple Green to the process might be necessary but I wouldn't go with any thing stronger without running the risk of removing the silk screening. The Lexan meter window was removed and received the same treatment but was also polished with an automotive clearcoat scratch and swirl remover. Once clean of dirt, panel scratches were masked by a permanent marker and wiped down with 99% isopropyl alcohol which diluted and feathered the ink to only where it was needed. The handles and panel flat head bolts were sanded and painted with Krylon Satin Black.

If you find the fan noisy, just replace it. I added a second 300r/15W in series with the fan to the already factory installed resistor which further reduced noise.
But keep in mind that if you install the second resistor, your maximum fan speed will be were it`s presently at when the thermal switches engage.
Thank you very much, Mike, for that gerat explanation. Fortunately, my 750B is not in such bad condition as it was yours. Let's see what happen.

Michael F

Journeyman
Tagline
---
You`re very welcome. If you want to see what your amp can really do, go ahead and do the cap change. It`s $10 well spent, the difference is quite noticeable :)

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
I would think long and hard before I changed the ventilation (fan direction) of this amp. BGW reliability is no accident and airflow is a major contributor. Since there is no fusing on the power supplies, if the amp fails it takes out all of the outputs, emitter resistors, drivers, predrivers and smokes the board. I've seen it happen. Keep in mind these amps lived in a lot of pro racks that didn't always have ideal airflow.

Tagline
---
I would think long and hard before I changed the ventilation (fan direction) of this amp. BGW reliability is no accident and airflow is a major contributor. Since there is no fusing on the power supplies, if the amp fails it takes out all of the outputs, emitter resistors, drivers, predrivers and smokes the board. I've seen it happen. Keep in mind these amps lived in a lot of pro racks that didn't always have ideal airflow.
Thank you! Well, the cabinet is properly ventilated and you can feel the exhaust flowing out of the top of the cabinet where it has a grill full of holes. Besides, at the volume I drive this amp, perhaps a 1/4 of what it used to drive in a Disco, I should have no problem. I have drived it 4 hours and it never heats up. Just the usual warm.