Yamaha M-80 - I think time for a recap!

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Yeah, when a lil' ole Nakamichi AV-1 beats my M-80 in a listening test, then I think I'm going to look at refurbing the Yamaha. I'm going to take 'er down along with the Carver pre until I get the M-80 fully restored. I was actually thinking of selling it :shock: , but .. naaah... that's heresy, I tell ya.

First off would be the big nasty caps (there's a few of them in there). Where's the best supply for 'em - anyone know?

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Ask Lee. He knows. If you give me the specs on the other caps I may be able to get you some Black Gates. I forget who Lee uses for the big caps. I think it is Adcom. He told me computer grade caps work good.

Larry

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Nevermind.. I found a SM out there.

So it looks like there are four caps in total, but split between two 33,000mfd/56wvdc's and two 47,000mfd/45wvdc's. That's for the major caps...

Let me see more about what else should be replaced.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Try capacitor12 on e-bay and Steve@ Apex Jr.
If you strike out there, Mouser, Digi-key, Newark.

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
I see a few good options from Digikey. I'll tear into it tomorrow to get the exact specs as I believe the caps are mounted in brackets of some sort, so getting the correct physical sizes is important.

I remember too about seeing someone else really beef up their M80 with decent signal wiring, heavy duty speaker posts, etc. Need to go find that again to give me some ideas.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
I have some new female RCAs. I may have some extra binding posts. I found some larger silver coated OFC if I can remember where. Avionics is also a member of ST.

Larry

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Yeah, I'm going to start tonight by doing the disassembly and initial inspection. Need to really measure the physical dimensions of the caps because like I said, they're encased in what looks like holders or clamps of some sort. So unless I wanted to fabricate a whole new cap assy, I'm going to have to stick with the same sizes.

I did find a thread on DiyAudio that details a certain refurb done. They mentioned replacing a few critical signal path wires with better material, so I'll keep that in mind too.

Plus the speaker terms of course, but I dunno... other than not accepting banana plugs, what's the benefit there?

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Bought a M-50 in non operating condition and turned it over to my Tech dude ,,it,s been a steller performer ever since like it so much I bought another one,,presently looking for a M-65-70 or a MX 800 or 1000

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Thanks jbeckva. On the bigger power supply caps if you have a little time searching in out of way places can save you ton.

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
laatsch55 said:
Thanks jbeckva. On the bigger power supply caps if you have a little time searching in out of way places can save you ton.
I picked up a M-80 that was perfect until ups got their hands on now have to replace the speaker inputs ,,,thought i may as well have it recapped as long as it,s open,,,can you guys give me any part numbers and where to locate them