WOPL and Watts Abundant build videos on YouTube

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
FIRST: For my first four days on this forum I didn't know what the hell a WOPL was.
SECOND: This post is redundant because I posted links to the vids in my introduction.

Hopefully this will help someone overcome their fear of circuit building and subsequent house fires. I'm gonna try to delete the post I made in my introduction, the vids actually belong here instead of there. If you've seen all this before, just ignore it.

The Watts Abundant speaker protection relay board (11:41):
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sww80AeEZw4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

The White Oak Driver Board construction for a 400/II quasi-comp (42:07):
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yC48YxVXXUY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

The White Oak capacitor upgrade (28:48):
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hvcA8OXPmmM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I hope to do the backplane / FullComp upgrade next year (geez- another driver board and all new transistors!) after the holiday bills are paid off. Before I get that done I have to get a suitable preamp going, thinking seriously about the Carver 4000t.

The final upgrade would maybe scrape the Phase Linear logo off and screen print the WOA logo on it- only the case and transformer would still be PL...

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
And now we are building a 700B with the first White Oak prototype chassius....and it's beautiful...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Derek's build thread is full of pics of the prototype chassis. The bare aluminum edition. Production runs will be black anodized....

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I am in like the probe in Jason's ass for one of these chassis and the new faceplate!!!!!

Jason, you do realize I am going to milk this for everything I can get away with right?

Love ya Bro!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I am in like the probe in Jason's ass for one of these chassis and the new faceplate!!!!!

Jason, you do realize I am going to milk this for everything I can get away with right?

Love ya Bro!
That was the plan all along...

MarkWComer

Tagline
Northwinds mentioned a new faceplate- and that more or less was my question- since very little of what could be called "Phase Linear" will exist in the cabinet after all the mods, shouldn't there be a "White Oak" faceplate?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
If it was a ground up original design then yes. But for now it's a Phase Linear..

MarkWComer

Tagline
If it was a ground up original design then yes. But for now it's a Phase Linear..
I understand completely! Perhaps an aluminum badge can be riveted onto the faceplate? Just to acknowledge the steroid injections?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Y a gotta remember. Joe is a gifted engineer. His improvements have faithfully followed the original design so the PL sound is not lost. The PL's do sound different due to their topology. Joe has improved on that design and implemented it better as well as curing some of its shortcomings. There is no doubt he could design and fab an original component, but it would probably look and sound much like a PL. He has 700's and 400' a and a few Crowns. Cause he likes em...period. I do too. Retired all my Spec amps after the first WOPL 1000 was built here.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I understand completely! Perhaps an aluminum badge can be riveted onto the faceplate? Just to acknowledge the steroid injections?
I love it Mark. Too cool. Member Phase Linear Phanatic cut some badges on a legend engraver. I'll post a pic when I get home.

P.L.F.

Journeyman
Tagline
I love BIG amplifiers!
I love it Mark. Too cool. Member Phase Linear Phanatic cut some badges on a legend engraver. I'll post a pic when I get home.
Lee, I'd love to get one of these badges too! Would you combine the shipment of output covers with one of them please? PM me if necessary...

And please put me on the list of this new chassis buyers :hello1: ...!