WOPL 700b High Current?

spitfun

Journeyman
I am enjoying my new amp and was just curious if this new setup is considered a high current design? I always heard that catch phrase from companies like Mark Levinson,Krell Adcom,etc. I am assuming not because I never hear talk of real low impedance loads with these amps. I figured the forum gurus could post some insight on the subject.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Well,maybe someone could elaborate a bit further....
Each half, meaning the upper or lower half of the output stage is nominally current limited at 10A. As the output approaches the rail voltage on the positive half of the signal, it can deliver approximately another 1/2A into the 8 ohm load. Ditto for the negative half cycle. That translates to about an 800W peak power capability into 8 ohms (some loads are capacitive in nature, such as electrostatics). Does that represent further elaboration?

The other stuff is just marketing hype...

Fred R on this forum drives very low impedance loads (Infinities, I seem to recall) with his amps. They are more than capable of keeping up with any similar amp on the planet.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
They are very capable. My Infinity 9Kappas absolutely suck the watts out at 2 ohms. Like driving a short. Depending on how low you go on speaker impedance it's possible you may have to disable SOA protection (easy) and will certainly need active cooling. Joe can fill you in.

1707694316392.png

Last edited:

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
They are very capable. My Infinity 9Kappas absolutely suck the watts out at 2 ohms. Like driving a short. Depending on how low you go on speaker impedance it's possible you may have to disable SOA protection (easy) and will certainly need active cooling. Joe can fill you in.

View attachment 79951
You disable the V/I limiters by lifting the dides on the protection transistors. That said, I don’t recommend doing it.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
You disable the V/I limiters by lifting the dides on the protection transistors. That said, I don’t recommend doing it.
Agree with Don. If you have a problem with frying the amp don't go there. In my experience the rail fuses blow before damage to the amp. YMMV.