WOPL 400 BackPlain Build First Time

Tagline
---6 and 7 days work week, no end in sight
I got my first board put together. You know the old saying, measure twice cut once. I did not do that. Got it all done, and I put my bias transistor Q6 in backwards. Found out when I was putting the 2N4303 band clamp on it. De soldiering is not fun. Hope I did not over heat the bias transistor. So I got both boards done. Some pic's.............

IMG_20180223_140205.jpg IMG_20180223_140241.jpg IMG_20180223_140415.jpg IMG_20180225_212736.jpg Ron...............

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Glad MOST everything is going smooth for you. My first set of BackPlanes on my first build, I put the bias transistors in the wrong hole (ooooh baby).... There IS a learning curve. I try to use the Little Joe clamps when soldering on the sensitive stuff. Heat may not murder them right away, but it CAN take some life off them. These will wick the heat away from the body of the component so as not to damage it. You can drill a hole or several of different sizes so they clip into a wire so you don't melt the insulation. Not really needed with Navo's great Mil-Spec wire but the crappy wire Phase Linear (actually most all manufacturers back then) used, that shit will puff up and melt like quick. I'm nearing the end of a 700 Series II as we speak. Good Luck.... Like Lee says, never solder naked.... HUH?

IMG_4500.jpg IMG_4501.jpg IMG_4502.jpg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Good job on the wiring Perry. Damn good....

Don't solder with no pants on fer sure..

Tagline
Well goes without sayin', I burnt my thumb twice, and a pair of sweat pants once. Got the boards in the chassis.

IMG_20180225_234827.jpg IMG_20180225_234905.jpg Ron.........

Tagline
Did you get the solder tails trimmed AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE???? Just checking. I had to remove a backplane because of shorts. Back when I was a rookie. I learn quick.
Yes, I trimmed wire tails as short as possible. Did the flatness check as well, with the boards laying on there back side.

Tagline
You've been a busy guy this morning!!
Yea, I started on the backplane boards on Friday. Went through the weekend, a couple hours at a time, plus worked on Saturday 8 hours,
and finally got em' done. I did not order the Bergquist Sil-Pad 400 TO-3 insulators, and 96's & 95's with the backplane board kit, wished I did.
Time to order again because I'm at that point to finish. Also order the PL_14 Control board.

Tagline
Glad MOST everything is going smooth for you. My first set of BackPlanes on my first build, I put the bias transistors in the wrong hole (ooooh baby).... There IS a learning curve. I try to use the Little Joe clamps when soldering on the sensitive stuff. Heat may not murder them right away, but it CAN take some life off them. These will wick the heat away from the body of the component so as not to damage it. You can drill a hole or several of different sizes so they clip into a wire so you don't melt the insulation. Not really needed with Navo's great Mil-Spec wire but the crappy wire Phase Linear (actually most all manufacturers back then) used, that shit will puff up and melt like quick. I'm nearing the end of a 700 Series II as we speak. Good Luck.... Like Lee says, never solder naked.... HUH?

View attachment 31412 View attachment 31413 View attachment 31414

That 700 Series II is looking pretty good. I do not solder naked, LMAO...............My wife might get jealous