What I'm doing with tHE EPI 100W cabs I was given...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I got some Pyle Driver 8s back from surround replacement earlier this month (I don't worry, they handle the power I wanted them to and have some good midrange as well) and I have two larger tweeter/mid-tweeters that fit in the space with a little cutting to fit the terminals...

The first one is reading between 6.67 and 6.90 ohms, if I'm using the true RMS multimeter Navo gave me for Christmas last year correctly...and they sound good, don't strain my SA-8800 at good, loud volumes.

I'm going to desolder the other woofer and get them hooked up in he hope I can sell it as part of a system still (been a while since I got ahold of the guy down the road).

Actually, as you can see I got over 7.1 ohms a minute ago when I took the pictures.

MVC-017S.JPG MVC-018S.JPG

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
That's a speaker you don't hear much about. I have a pair of EPI 100V. I bought the kits to replace the surrounds on the woofers, but never installed them. I think I bought new fabric for the grilles, too. Lots of good reviews on them.

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
What ya waitin for then Nando?

I'm one to talk... I have a large set of cerwin cabs out in the back shed and the woofers have been on the shelf in the garage for over a year now. Need to get a surround kit for them, and put them back together one of these days.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Ben: You are no stranger when it comes to redoing speaker surrounds as you did your Bose 901s. I may be motivated enough to try doing the EPIs, but it's way down the priority list.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
What ya waitin for then Nando?

I'm one to talk... I have a large set of cerwin cabs out in the back shed and the woofers have been on the shelf in the garage for over a year now. Need to get a surround kit for them, and put them back together one of these days.

D9's ??????

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
D9's are getting pretty old...15" woofs?? A D9 and a 700 WOPL is a real gooooooood match....

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Steven, if you talk while you read the woofer's resistance, you'll see the number change. The woofer acts like a microphone and the voltage it produces changes the voltmeter reading.

orange

Tagline
I suppose I should turn the fan behind it off as well...:toothy5:

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
The EPI and Genesis are great balanced sound speakers. I have a set of original tweeters if you want them I can send them to you. The epi tweeter is an inverted dome and I like the sound.

Glen

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Ben: You are no stranger when it comes to redoing speaker surrounds as you did your Bose 901s. I may be motivated enough to try doing the EPIs, but it's way down the priority list.

Nando.
Hi Nando

These are easy to redo the surrounds. Let's talk when I get back.
Glen

orange

Tagline
I have the Genesis tweeters, I believe, from JustMike, as well as the EPI 50 tweeters. I'm not looking to finish building them as 100s though.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Hi Nando

These are easy to redo the surrounds. Let's talk when I get back.
Glen
Hi Glen,

Thanks for the offer, Glen. When I do get around to it, I will contact you should I have any questions.

Nando.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Hi Glen,

Thanks for the offer, Glen. When I do get around to it, I will contact you should I have any questions.

Nando.
Sounds great. I have a few sets to do one Saturday. Main Electronics stock surrounds at a great price. The are on main st. and 33rd I think.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Beware surrounds bought at Main Electronics

I needed to re-foam two 12" woofers quickly and bought replacements at Main Electronics. After installing them I thought the cones should move more freely than they did and took the woofers to Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic for assessment. They said the new surrounds were probably for car subs, not home speakers and in their present state, those woofers were now mid ranges. Van Audio do not normally sell parts for DIY'ers but after some groveling and a reminder that they did rebuild woofers for me on two occasions, they sold me proper ones. Had to re-foam a second time obviously but at least the woofers were woofers again.

Usually, it is one of three males behind the counter at Main Electronics. The eldest, Mr. Toupee, is good for answering questions, the youngest seems eager to please and does not seem to mind digging into stock looking for stuff (mostly belts) that I ask for but the middle one is not what I'd call customer service oriented. When he brought the foams to the counter and I remarked at their stiffness, he said "They're for 12" woofers and that's what you asked for". He's never actually been rude to me (yet) but I get "just go the f**k away" glances like how dare I dare question or doubt him.

No intention of bad mouthing them and they have been my main source of belts and lamps but the guys at Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic implied my experience with surrounds from there was nothing new. Too bad Van Audio don't sell parts and seem loathe to recommend any source. I used to order surrounds online from someone called M-Sound and he was unbelievably helpful from beginning to end but it looks like it's out of business. I recently got surrounds for a friend's small Infinity's from Simply Speakers but was disappointed. The surrounds themselves were OK but $25 for their "kit" was too much since all I got was the surrounds and some lame instructions. No glue, shims or 30Hz CD so the work "kit" was a misnomer.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I needed to re-foam two 12" woofers quickly and bought replacements at Main Electronics. After installing them I thought the cones should move more freely than they did and took the woofers to Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic for assessment. They said the new surrounds were probably for car subs, not home speakers and in their present state, those woofers were now mid ranges. Van Audio do not normally sell parts for DIY'ers but after some groveling and a reminder that they did rebuild woofers for me on two occasions, they sold me proper ones. Had to re-foam a second time obviously but at least the woofers were woofers again.

Usually, it is one of three males behind the counter at Main Electronics. The eldest, Mr. Toupee, is good for answering questions, the youngest seems eager to please and does not seem to mind digging into stock looking for stuff (mostly belts) that I ask for but the middle one is not what I'd call customer service oriented. When he brought the foams to the counter and I remarked at their stiffness, he said "They're for 12" woofers and that's what you asked for". He's never actually been rude to me (yet) but I get "just go the f**k away" glances like how dare I dare question or doubt him.

No intention of bad mouthing them and they have been my main source of belts and lamps but the guys at Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic implied my experience with surrounds from there was nothing new. Too bad Van Audio don't sell parts and seem loathe to recommend any source. I used to order surrounds online from someone called M-Sound and he was unbelievably helpful from beginning to end but it looks like it's out of business. I recently got surrounds for a friend's small Infinity's from Simply Speakers but was disappointed. The surrounds themselves were OK but $25 for their "kit" was too much since all I got was the surrounds and some lame instructions. No glue, shims or 30Hz CD so the work "kit" was a misnomer.

Sorry to hear your problems. There are lots of online sources for these as well. I will post a few sites I found when I return home.

However If you go to Main Electronics web pages you will find the surrounds all listed nicely so you can pick the correct ones there first before buying them at the store. It is just one more pain to endure in the ongoing battle of life I guess.

Here is the link
http://www.mainelectronics.com/surround.htm

It really is as easy as it is shown how to do this writeup to do
http://www.audionote.co.uk/downloads/speaker_foam_replace.pdf

Last edited:

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
I have the Genesis tweeters, I believe, from JustMike, as well as the EPI 50 tweeters. I'm not looking to finish building them as 100s though.
My first brand new speakers were the green foamed Genesis from the late '70's, they were just awesome! Inverted dome tweeter...is that what your using?

orange

Tagline
I don't know...I have a poly mid-tweeter? pair that sounds fair good in there, and with either the EPI 50 or that one I beilieve I still have to notch just a bit to fit the terminals through.