What are the D9 mods?

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I should have a pair tonight... I heard the horn tweeter can be a little harsh so I was wondering what folks do to mod for better sound. I know Jer has a modded set, figured others do also since these seem like popular speakers for high wattage amps like the WOPL's

This is the pair I am picking up this evening. They only saw studio type use, seller said he used Crown amps on each one

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
D9s won't start the migration but they will accelerate the migration once started..

Northwinds

Tagline
Yep, these things thunder, I am having a blast session right now :toothy5:. I dig them!

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
I did a few things to mine prior to parting with them (not my wish!)

1. Braced inside of cabinet. There is one brace in all of cabinet and is a hot glued small brace from front to back. Most that have been cranked to any degree have the hot melt already separated. I braced it pretty good without consuming too much volume. I added a bit of open cell foam to try to compensate.

2. Covered the entire wooden interior with a coat of latex rubber to deaden the cabinet.

3. Recapped the crossover.

4. Added some sand bags inside to increase mass.

4. Of course I had to refoam woofers and replace tweeters (blown from under powering, prior owner), but that is all just maintenance.

Sound was improved from stock when done. Tighter bass, and a bit smoother sounding mids and highs.

Northwinds

Tagline
I did a few things to mine prior to parting with them (not my wish!)

1. Braced inside of cabinet. There is one brace in all of cabinet and is a hot glued small brace from front to back. Most that have been cranked to any degree have the hot melt already separated. I braced it pretty good without consuming too much volume. I added a bit of open cell foam to try to compensate.

2. Covered the entire wooden interior with a coat of latex rubber to deaden the cabinet.

3. Recapped the crossover.

4. Added some sand bags inside to increase mass.

4. Of course I had to refoam woofers and replace tweeters (blown from under powering, prior owner), but that is all just maintenance.

Sound was improved from stock when done. Tighter bass, and a bit smoother sounding mids and highs.
Thanks, I will look into this stuff. I did notice there was no insulation in the cabs, I thought that a bit odd. I was thinking of putting a 35lb plate in the bottom of each from my Olympic weight set (I have about 1000lbs worth of plates)

tivali

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I did one thing - Added some sand bags inside to increase mass.

Last edited: