Welcome NavLinear!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Ok, with a username like that ya got my attention, surely there is a story to go with that?

Anyhoo, glad you could join us, sit back, kick your feet up and stay a spell.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Glad you joined Dennis. I think you will find some valuable info to help you with your current Phase Linear 400 project

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Hey guys,

I was curious why the introductions would begin with existing members comments. After a couple of beers I just jumped into the intro section but had not come up with anything cute to write so I jumped back out. I must have left a trail.

Anyways I've pulled out all my toys that have been in my closet for the last decade or so and want to revive them back to health. I have been reading a lot of posts at AK and since I do like the older Phase Linear (and silver face Pioneer) stuff I've been glued to my monitor attempting to absorb a tidbit here and there.

This is what I presently have:

Pioneer SA-9900
Pioneer TX-9800
Phase Linear 400
Phase Linear 4000
Soundcraftsmen PE2217
Technics 1310 TT

Digital - Rotel CD player Forgot the model number and it's at work

I've been in contact with Joe and have purchased the new RevC controller board (PL-14), the power supply capacitor drop in replacement, the LED board and a copule of predriver transistors. This will be my main system - at least for now so I want to upgrade it and get a couple more decades of use out of it. I'm also looking to get the dc protection board from Watts Abundant. But you guys just keep adding stuff to upgrade these monstors so who knows what will be next.

Next in line will be the infamous PL pre. That mother board really flexes when removing or installing boards and the RCA jacks could've been done differently. I hope to fix the flexing issue but right now I'll live with the RCA jacking as it presently exists. I plan on reflowing the solder and cleaning up the boards as most, if not all, still have flux from the initial build. After the reflow and if I want to continue with this pre I'll begin to remove the electrolitic caps in the signal flow and replace them. Of course the power supply caps will be first when I travel down that path. I may be in line for a different preamp so any suggestions are welcome.

Ok - I work for the Navy hence Nav and of course my first love with audio is the Phase Linear (well maybe Pioneer but it sounds good). The avatar I chose because she's kinda cute - a Vargas pinup girl.

I have enjoyed reading this forum and I guess I'll have to start posting now.

Joe - thanks for all of your inputs and for the tip regarding this site.

Thanks for the warm welcome - Dennis

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Vargs girls are hard to beat. If you get tired of chasing gremlins on the 4000, my favorite pre after the Spec 1 is the 3300 Ser II. Claen layout, a minimum of components and upgradable op-amps. IF you do tackle the monster I have one here to do for Larrt. I'll be following along like a little puppy dog.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Nice to have you join us Dennis. You have a stout line-up of gear that is quite reminiscent of the good ol' days of heft and shine. But more importantly, gear that reminds you of how well a system can sound even if the technology is decades old.

Nando.

NavLinear

Yeah - when I bought my 9900 the Spec 1 and it's sister the Spec 2 were nearby at the audio shop but it was way out of my budget as a lowly enlisted guy. I'd jump at one now but at the bay the last several have gone for more than what's in my budget and you never know what you'll wind up with. I know that some deals can be made at the AK Barter Town and from what I've read the guys are real honest.

I have not heard the PL 3300 but it has the look and I bet it sounds sweet. I'll keep that in mind - thanks.

I'll keep you posted on the 4000 but that is a ways down the road.

NavLinear

Thanks Nando - can't wait to get it all back up and running.

Thanks Scratch - I was cured for a while but it came back. I stopped taking my meds!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yep. he's the real deal Kev. Glad to see im too. I think there was some tech stuff in this Lad's history, another one can never hurt.

NavLinear

Hey Kevin - thanks for the welcome. I think I might like it here.

Lee,

I've been busy reading some of the threads on this here forum and I must say it's been fun. The one about the PL 700 with plots of SNR, THD +N, Frequency Response and a couple of other plots of tests taken with an audio analyzer (before and after WO) is one of my favorites so far. I have not seen the "after the WO" mod plots yet but I'm thinking it's kinda like a before and after the diet photo shoot.

I'm about half way through and may post some there (questions) but I must ask you now as I can't wait - what analyzer are you using? Sorry I couldn't help myself - just had to ask.

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
Yea Dennis..... I think your gonna like it here !!!!! I love reading and looking at all this stuff..... BUT.... Lee said it best about me !!!! I DON'T HAVE A CLUE !!!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Dennis, it is an Audio Precision ATS-1DD Dual Domain Analyzer. Made in 2002, and last calibrated in 2008. Anmd it is a sweetheart,. love it.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Lee said it best about me !!!! I DON'T HAVE A CLUE !!!!!

About what you're gonna get hit with when you crank yourWOPL for the first time.