We are #4!

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
In this article from April 12th 2019, "The 12 Most Significant Power Amplifiers of All Time" the PL400/PL700 came in at #4! The article is full of snobbery, but gives some valuable insights and history into how far we have come with power amps. Interestingly, the older the amp, the higher the rating (almost). If you take away anything less that 25 Watts Per Channel, there would be only 8 amplifiers. Power amps indeed.

Here:
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-12-most-significant-power-amplifiers-of-all-time/

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
That's pretty cool! Thanks.
I never heard of that magazine until a couple weeks ago. Now I've been buying up early editions from the 70's. I don't know how I never saw it back then? But it's really great. Not nearly as snooty as Mr. Hirsch and his pals. Just packed with honest reviews. Which I like since all of my junk is from that time.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
That's pretty cool! Thanks.
I never heard of that magazine until a couple weeks ago. Now I've been buying up early editions from the 70's. I don't know how I never saw it back then? But it's really great. Not nearly as snooty as Mr. Hirsch and his pals. Just packed with honest reviews. Which I like since all of my junk is from that time.
Not knowing of TAS is hard to imagine. But they had humble beginnings more like a pamphlet than an audio mag. One of the first, if not the first, had an opinion (review) of Double Advents. A PL 700 may have been part of that equation.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Not knowing of TAS is hard to imagine. But they had humble beginnings more like a pamphlet than an audio mag. One of the first, if not the first, had an opinion (review) of Double Advents. A PL 700 may have been part of that equation.
Yes, that was issue #1 . I don't have that yet. I do have a 'back issue index' though.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
That is a good looking T-shirt logo.
Yes- I have to get cracking on that again. Apologies for any delay. My great niece is turning me into a "soccer great- uncle," and I have to clear out my MasterCard before submitting the order.

Further thought on that- howz about some cut vinyl window decals?

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
When you get caught up, you can do ball point pens & matchbooks next! Ball caps too?

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Folks, let's not forget that those awesome amps were made possible by advances in small parts: resistors, caps, tubes and transistors. Can you even imagine a PL700 with axial caps sealed with wax...?

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Folks, let's not forget that those awesome amps were made possible by advances in small parts: resistors, caps, tubes and transistors. Can you even imagine a PL700 with axial caps sealed with wax...?
Amazing how fast the advancement was. I suspect reverse engineered alien technology. But I could be wrong..............................again...

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
"Not knowing of TAS is hard to imagine" Small rural towns did not have the greatest magazine selection at the gas station .