WANTED: PL400 8 Fin Heatsinks

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Right after reefing on it in the list.

In the “W” section, you’ll find Wailing on it.

Kicking the snot out of it is also popular.

Going Chernobyl on it.

Getting medieval on it’s ass (thanks Quinton)

Feedin’ ‘er the onions.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Bud, unless you're romping on it it's hard to warm up a 400.....course there's some Infinity's out there that will do it in a hurry, you can always add a fan.
Yeah maybe I’m just overthinking this. I should probably just go ahead with the build. Those new chassis look nice. I might…..

Had to google "romping on it". :)
Lol I wouldn’t. Turn safe search on

George S.

I think your 4 fin will be fine and will probably just be warm at excruciating sound pressures unless you have really inefficient speakers. A WOPL is amazing. I have 3 and the transformers run warmer than the heat sinks. Putting feet under them also helps.

Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
Yeah maybe I’m just overthinking this. I should probably just go ahead with the build. Those new chassis look nice. I might…..
mr_rye89,

Gepetto's new 400 chassis is even better than it looks. My original chassis was all catawampus, but I was going to be brave about it, straighten it up after I stripped it, and press with what I got.

But once I heard that the chassis is *deeper*, I immediately decided to upgrade. Why?

Thanks to the inverse-squared law, more room can definitely = a lower noise floor.

Here's a photo of my to-be-WOPL'd stock 400 S2 vs. the new chassis:

PL 400 old vs new chassis.JPG
Depth measurement: (w/tape measure)

Stock = 4.0"
New = ~5 1/4"

It is sturdy, and the fact that I get to use threaded fasteners (instead of stock sheet metal screws that tend to strip out) to secure the top & bottom covers is very cool.

I voted with my wallet, and very happy that I did. My goal is to use the 400 as my 'benchmark' amp for noise floor measurements (that I want to get my D500s as close as possible to) ...so this new chassis will allow me to experiment with different stand-off lengths, improved wiring harness routing, etc.

Really impressed with the build quality. Investment vs. purchase, if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps --

3D

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
mr_rye89,

Gepetto's new 400 chassis is even better than it looks. My original chassis was all catawampus, but I was going to be brave about it, straighten it up after I stripped it, and press with what I got.

But once I heard that the chassis is *deeper*, I immediately decided to upgrade. Why?

Thanks to the inverse-squared law, more room can definitely = a lower noise floor.

Here's a photo of my to-be-WOPL'd stock 400 S2 vs. the new chassis:
View attachment 62383
Depth measurement: (w/tape measure)

Stock = 4.0"
New = ~5 1/4"

It is sturdy, and the fact that I get to use threaded fasteners (instead of stock sheet metal screws that tend to strip out) to secure the top & bottom covers is very cool.

I voted with my wallet, and very happy that I did. My goal is to use the 400 as my 'benchmark' amp for noise floor measurements (that I want to get my D500s as close as possible to) ...so this new chassis will allow me to experiment with different stand-off lengths, improved wiring harness routing, etc.

Really impressed with the build quality. Investment vs. purchase, if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps --

3D

Keeps the caps away from the meters too....youre right VERY cool...