Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic - customer service at rock bottom

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
A long winded story but since there are forum members in BC, I thought this might be to their benefit.

The business, Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic, was the go to place for speaker repair since the mid 1970's. I was aware of them for many years but first set foot in their door ten or twelve years ago. At that time they would sell cone surrounds to DIY'rs which was why I visited them. They stopped doing that shortly afterwards which was unfortunate because they had many on hand and were very knowledgable about what surround would be appropriate. Another source for cone surrounds existed but it was hit or miss so when I found out I could buy them from Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic, that's where I went.

When they stopped selling parts was when I began taking in drivers for them to service. Their first hand knowledge of speaker makes and models was beyond impressive in my opinion. Included in the assortment of drivers that I took to them were those from Wharfedale, EPI, WEB, Goodmans. I also purchased used speaker components there. In 2020 I moved from Vancouver and when settled, I phoned Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinc and discussed repairing some 12" EV full ranges that I've had since 1968. One had a tear I was forever planning to mend but never did.

The person I most often dealt with, in person and over the phone, was the business owner, Tom who had me send closup photos of the EV drivers. The upshot was that I needed to ship them the drivers for proper assessment so I did. The diagnosis was that the cone material had degraded over time and gotten perforated, which I agreed with, and that both needed new cones. I OK'd the work and the quoted price. Getting the proper cones proved to be a problem but Tom was dilligent. After a couple of weeks he advised on finding a supplier for the correct cones. I recieved the drivers back within a month perfectly repaired. Even the dust caps with the EV logo was salvaged and reinstalled.

Being very pleased with repairs to everything I left with them, I wholeheartedly endorsed them verbally and online if the opportunity arose.

Tom had an employee, Tibor, who seemed more than competent at repair work but was a bit odd when interacting with customers. Unfortunately Tom passed away last year and Tibor became responsible for tending to business.

Shortly after my relocation, I got acquainted with someone local who dealt in used audio gear. I did a few repairs for him and at sometime I mentioned Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic but he may have already known about them. He made trips to the coast for business and related to me of dropping off some JBL mids and tweets to Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic last October, 2021. It was he who informed me that Tom passed away and Tibor was running things. ETA for his JBL drivers was supposed to be a matter of weeks but weeks turned into months. His phone calls to Tibor generated excuse after excuse and promises to do the repairs ASAP but nothing ever happened.

Eight months later, in June of this year, this displeased customer was in Vancouver and visited Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic. He demanded that Tibor, who was not in the shop, be summoned immediatly or he would retrieve the JBL drivers himself. Tibor arrived within 15 mnutes. That's what it took for those repairs to be made and the drivers returned a day or two later.

Now to my latest encounter.

After hearing that story, I did not take it to heart and also dropped off some small woofers for re-foaming at Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic on June 25 while I was visiting the area. I had twice been sent the wrong foams by Simply Speakers so rather than punch in the dark, I thought it was easiest if someone well versed in speaker repairs did the job.

Tibor stated repairs would be completed by the middle of the following week. Nearly a month later, on July 21, I made my first phone call asking for an update. Tibor's excuse was being inundated with pro gear since the bars, clubs and bands were starting up after Covid. An apology was made and a promise given to get on my repair right away. The next day, Tibor called to confirm that the repaired woofers were to be shipped to my home address in another town and stated he would be working on them "right now".

Three weeks later, on August 11, I called again. This time Tibor said he could not find my woofers but he would have his "assistant" look for them. I never heard back so phoned again on August 16, 19 and 20. Those calls resulted in him saying my woofers were missing and that he'd find some of the same size "downstairs" and send me those. After considering that and realizing any old woofer might not fit the molded front baffle's threaded holes, I emailed saying that was not acceptible.

My last call to Tibor was on Aug 26. It was brief because I hung up after being told I would be sent replacements.

Tibor seems incapable of follow through. His attention is fixed on what is in front of him at the time and prior commitments are either forgotten or ignored. As mentioned, I believe he is very good at repair work but needs to be guided and told what to do. But his guide is gone and so is the good service I came to expect from Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic. Previous interactions with Tibor made me think he was an odd duck but my opinion now is that he is incompetent at business management. He is way too casual and forgetfull to be in charge.

IMG_5040.JPG

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Too bad the reputation of Vancouver Speaker Audio Clinic has gone downhill. I only had one experience there and that was dropping off a pair of Sansui midrange drivers to either repair or replace. Tom was working at that time, but I never did get a call back on whether he was able to find or fix what I gave him. I just wrote it off.

Nando.

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Too bad your job fell through the cracks. I've had a dozen or more dealings with Tom on different repairs and he always came through. Maybe yours was left with Tibor? My impression is he is addled most of the time. Twice that I recall, when I picked up a repair, he suggested I could barter weed for the bill.

Pretty sure it's a known fact that memory suffers when under the influence.

Memory Cheech and Chong.jpg

I've given negative reviews on Yelp, Yellow Pages and posted my experience on CAM, AK and now here. VASC is not a member of BBB but I was told I could post a complaint on their website despite that. If I feel the urge, I will also post on DIY Audio, Vinyl Engine, HiFi Engine, Antique Radio Forums and any other electronics forum site I might be a member of.