TV LG or Samsung ?

Rat44

Journeyman
Tv took a dump.
Need a new TV in the 50-55" range.
Leaning towards LG or Samsung .
4 K and a tuner built in.
Last one was a monitor only, didn't realize the downside to not being able to pickup local stations.
Is OLED that much better than regular LED for off center viewing ?
Not a gamer so refresh rate is a non issue.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Refresh rate can be an issue, particularly if you have transformer lighting (fluorescent and many LED lights fall under this) For me, higher is always better all else being equal.

Plus, I'm in the market for a "TV" as well so maybe something good for me will come of this thread (before we derail and destroy it).

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
I have had them all, I think the Sony Bravia has the best bang for your buck

BlazeES

Tagline
---
LG OLED... hands down! Picture performance off to the side; smart TV's are more & more dependent on their individual operating systems. That said, Sony is highly dependent on Google TV software - which is a train wreck purely from a support standpoint. Don't even get me started about telemetry...
Samsung's Tizen OS has been and can be buggy as hell!

Picture wise - it's always a matter of the subjective eye and the controls one is afforded to dial in the picture they prefer.
LG's simply do most things right, straight out-of-the-box.

And OLED technology is best for the widest field of view or off-center viewing. Indisputable!

Last edited:

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Smart TVs are terrible. They should just make displays. 4 hdmi inputs, an ARC channel/optical output, and maybe an atsc tuner. But that will never happen, data mining operations subsidize the cost of TVs.

That being said I'd like to see an OLED TV setup by someone who knows what they're doing. Would be nice to see true black on a display for the first time in 20 years lol

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I have a "spider" which attaches to the monitor to monitor and help correct displayed colors from my days of editing photos.

I bet something similar (since mine is 25 years old) could be adapted to correct displayed colors quite precisely for you on any of these modern monitors using the computer with the spider's output..

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
I went down this path last year when updating from a 20 year old Pioneer Elite plasma 55' monitor to a new Samsung S95C OLED TV and Q990C soundbar.

This setup replace the TV and high end 5.1 channel surround system in my main living room without compromise and a significant wife acceptance factor improvement (no more big surround speakers in the living room).

I'll admit that you really can't go wrong with any of the leading manufacturers (Samsung, LG, Sony) with today's technology. However, the following factors led me to the Samsung over other options:

- Very bright and punchy colors, even in rooms with significant ambient sunlight.
- Excellent off axis viewing angle and display reflection reduction
- Excellent color gamut - I did not find a need to calibrate this display
- Integration of display speakers with soundbar produced a compelling surround experience
- My experience was similar to this video:
- The Samsung incorporates a One Connect Box that you connect all video sources and power cables and run only a single cable to the display. This made installation much cleaner.
- One downside of Samsung TV's - No Dolby Vision support, only HDR10 and HDR10+ (this has not significantly limited my 4K TV viewing)

I have lived with this setup over the past year with no regrets and highly recommend. Samsung now has a newer model S95D.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Our busted TV is a Samsung "smart" TV and we also have a Samsung "smart" BR player, but they actually don't work together very well. I still need two remotes because the BR one won't control the TV and the TV one doesn't have buttons for operating the BR player...

Is the newer one, "smarter"?

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Our busted TV is a Samsung "smart" TV and we also have a Samsung "smart" BR player, but they actually don't work together very well. I still need two remotes because the BR one won't control the TV and the TV one doesn't have buttons for operating the BR player...

Is the newer one, "smarter"?
My experience is yes.

The TV remote is able to also control the soundbar, Roku, and Apple TV.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I deliberately bought the "matching" BR player to avoid remote juggling and ended up doing it anyway.

Glad to hear they got that right.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I have had poor reliability experiences with both LG and Samsung, both with very low hours on them. Both crapped out much sooner than expected. I replaced the planar board in the 60" Samsung and it brought it back to life for a while, it sits off much of the time. Now it died again so I will never get another Samsung, it is going to the dumpster.

Longest lasting and still running perfectly is a Panasonic, many many years. Bulletproof. I also have 4 Vizios that work flawlessly and a new Roku.

The Roku is the best but you have to pair it up with the external Roku speakers to get excellent sound. The TV is much too thin to have decent speakers inside it. Once you pair it with their wireless external speakers, the SQ is excellent.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Still have a 20+ year old 30" Panasonic flat screen in the screened porch - it site covered most of the time - but turns on when asked. Can't say enough good about its longevity.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
LG OLED... hands down! Picture performance off to the side; smart TV's are more & more dependent on their individual operating systems. That said, Sony is highly dependent on Google TV software - which is a train wreck purely from a support standpoint. Don't even get me started about telemetry...
Samsung's Tizen OS has been and can be buggy as hell!

Picture wise - it's always a matter of the subjective eye and the controls one is afforded to dial in the picture they prefer.
LG's simply do most things right, straight out-of-the-box.

And OLED technology is best for the widest field of view or off-center viewing. Indisputable!

Mighty sure of yourself there young man!!