Tubes Down Under

Thought I would post some pics of my valve amps I currently have.
The big black ugly beast is a Grant G-100AS circa mid to late 80s, estimated 50w per channel and approx 40kg. Made in the UK by Roy Grant and it certainly sounds better than it looks.
The receiver is a Pioneer circa 60s I think. I have plans to restore it once I have finished my WOPL 400. I just have to find where to get the 2 multi-cap cans from so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

Attachments

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Antique Electronics Supply has the multi section cans but they're hella expensive and shipping to Aus is too. I'm one of those troglodytes that just leaves the old cans in snips the leads off and hides new discrete capacitors underneath...... OR you can re-stuff the old cans with new capacitors.

That Grant amp looks like a Dynaco ST-70 sorta

Mr Rye
Are you saying that I could use 3 of these instead?

https://mou.sr/3rVm3v9

Also are there any other parts I should look at replacing before firing up?

FYI I have had it about 5 years now and haven't turned it on and the previous owner said he last turned it on in the very early 90s.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Yeah as long as they're the right voltage/capacitance and put into the circuit correctly they should work. You might want a variac and dim bulb tester before you power it up. And the coupling capacitors in that might be bad too, the oil filled Suzuki ones like to release magic smoke, dunno about those yellow buggers though

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Are those multi segment caps polarized electrolytics? I have an old Califone that I’d like to restore, schematic doesn’t show a positive or negative side, so I assume they’re non polarized. There are some others, paper caps dipped in wax, not sure what to do about those…

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Are those multi segment caps polarized electrolytics? I have an old Califone that I’d like to restore, schematic doesn’t show a positive or negative side, so I assume they’re non polarized. There are some others, paper caps dipped in wax, not sure what to do about those…

These are the wax dipped non-polar caps you need Mark. You just twist the leads together to make the size you need. Totally customizable bro... :)

Dyn.jpg

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The multi segment cans are definitely polarized electrolytics Mark. The paper caps are not polarized. Mylar or PP is a good replacement for those types.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
negative side is the can and all segments share it and it’s soldered into the chassis, there are little shapes (semi circle triangle square etc) by the leads that correspond with the values on the side of the can, tells you which segment is what value

MarkWComer

Tagline
negative side is the can and all segments share it and it’s soldered into the chassis, there are little shapes (semi circle triangle square etc) by the leads that correspond with the values on the side of the can, tells you which segment is what value
Stupid scheme… one blows and you have to replace four…

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Stupid scheme… one blows and you have to replace four…
yeah and fun to replace. In my RCA color TV the old can caps are still there, I just wacked the leads off and put discrete capacitors underneath the chassis. Some guys take the cans apart and replace the innards with new capacitors. Not me!

MarkWComer

Tagline
yeah and fun to replace. In my RCA color TV the old can caps are still there, I just wacked the leads off and put discrete capacitors underneath the chassis. Some guys take the cans apart and replace the innards with new capacitors. Not me!
To keep it looking “original” in a place where nobody looks! Again, that’s stoopid!

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
If you see one of those metal multi section capacitors with a paper tube on top it be sure to know that cap is hot underneath there. At least 300VDC hot. It is isolated from the chassis if you look close. An example of that would be the Fisher 500C.