"Tonar" stylus, opinions?

Makymak

Journeyman
Where the sun meets the rocks and the sea
I bought a Tonar stylus for my Stanton 681EEE to try. It's a cheap replacement and I wasn't expecting a lot. Well, I was impressed! It has a very detailed sound and great highs. The only drawback is that it sounds tight and not "open". I hope after break in it will be OK.

Has anyone tried them?

Makymak

Journeyman
Where the sun meets the rocks and the sea
A piece of metal? I truly don't know (but the hammer sounds good, though).

As for a diamond tip that is shaped and polished, I'm not an expert, but I guess polishing leaves some irregularities on the surfaces that are rubbing with the groove's walls. So, it needs some wearing for these surfaces to be uniform and smooth and can follow precisely the track. But, as I said, I'm not an expert...

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I bought a Tonar stylus for my Stanton 681EEE to try. It's a cheap replacement and I wasn't expecting a lot. Well, I was impressed! It has a very detailed sound and great highs. The only drawback is that it sounds tight and not "open". I hope after break in it will be OK.

Has anyone tried them?
I remembered Tonar styli from record player needles in the 50’s & 60’s and was pleased to see that brand name was still around. Within the past 7 or 8 years I’ve ordered Tonar styli several times.

Once from a Canadian vendor in New Brunswick and others from Pickupnaalden - Netherlands.

The Canadian source supplied one that was on Tonar’s product list but had to be special ordered. It was for an old Empire 888 cartridge

My second order from that supplier was a no-show despite his having claimed it was sent. He did refund me but that stylus never did show up.

Since Tonar’s stylus catalog was extensive, I was able to find an old B&O SP-6/7 stylus and one for an old Shure M44-5 and one for an even older Shure M-3. One for micro groove and one for 78’s.

Those latter ones, I ordered from Pickupnaalden. Even though my location is BC, Canada, shipping wait time was maybe two weeks and the total cost was reasonable I thought.

I can’t remember the fellow’s name but communication was them was unexpectedly good.

I’ve no knowledge as to which maker(s) produce Tonar styli but each one I’ve received were quite acceptable.

A big attractant for me was the number of styli Tonar had available as I have a fondness for older, oddball cartridges.